Crankcase vacuum lines? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2003, 04:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Crankcase vacuum lines?

First, thanks to everyone for the help with the steering issue. Replaced everything except the steering box and lower column. LOL. Not too bad. Will replace the lower column next as it is bent or bowed I should say. On the 258 on the drivers side there are two adapters in the crankcase. The forward one has two (vacuum?) openings and the aft one has three. All five are capped off. All emissions have been removed from this eng and am running a webber carb. Do these need to be opened or connected to anything? Reason I'm asking is I'm getting some bad blow by out the oil cap,pcv..the usual. Any help would be great. I will be doing the V8 swap around Nov so she just has to last until then.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2003, 12:14 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Crankcase vacuum lines?

I'm trying to envision what you're describing. You should have two ports on the valve cover. The front one (typically) goes to the air cleaner/air tube. The other either contains a PCV valve ..or is just a hose running to a metered orfice. Either design (PCV or metered orfice) are attached directly to manifold vacuum. This set up may be reversed on various years (I dunno).

These are the only two that matter for crankcase ventilation/blowby control.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2003, 02:53 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The only vacuum diagram I have for your jeep? Hopefully this may help.
Attached Images
File Type: gif 1160841-fix.gif (40.0 KB, 6 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2003, 03:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The ones on the valve cover I have hooked up, fwd(pcv) to the webber base adapter and the rear to the air cleaner. The ones I'm curious about are actually on the eng block about 8 in above the oil pan mating surface on the driver side. One is about 10 in back from the front of the block and the other about another 10 in behind that.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2003, 08:14 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Oh ...you threw me off by posting "Crankcase Vacuum lines". If you're not talking about the intake or, depending on year, the exhaust manifold ...then you got me swinging. Muddynut appears to have a great image of attachments to the intake ...but I think that you would have referred to it as such.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2003, 08:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Are you talking about the Vacuum lines to the front axles disconnect?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2003, 07:06 AM
Addict

The ports that you are referring to are for your old carb and emissions. One is the CTO and can't recall the other. Make sure that your PCV valve is clean and the line is not kinked - also check the crankcase cap and line.
I eliminated the crankcase line on my 258 by putting a breather cap in place of the line. Works great and looks good. I have a minimum of vacuum lines and hoses - really cleaned the compartment up - a vacuum line from the carb to the distributor, a line from the PCV teed at the carb and to the fuel canister, and a line from the bowl vent at the carb to the fuel canister. Thats it. With the Weber you don't need anything else.

Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode