My TJ front d-44 progress (again) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2003, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

My TJ front d-44 progress (again)

Once again my plans have changed and I had to re-do some of the things I had already done on the axle.
I have been working on this thing for well over a year, and thats ok because it's going into my wifes jeep and she has 4.56 gears and an arb with spare axleshafts in the front of the jeep now.
Just to recap.... heres what I have done so far
1. I took a ford high pinion d-44 and cut the tubes off flush with the pumpkin on each side.
2. bore the originan tubes (the part still in the pumpkin) to the outside diameter of the dana 30 tubes.
3. I cut bit off the d-30 tubes on the pumpkin end because the d-44 housing is a LOT wider.. this is actually a good thing as the shorter tubes should be a bit stronger.
4. press the d-30 tubes into the d-44 housing setting the pinion angle in relation to the spring perches.
5. I ground off the outer knuckles and added a bit of caster angle to improve steering..... but I'm sure this isnt needed. the real reason for taking the outer knuckles off was to press on some older d-44 inner knuckles and make a 5 on 5.5 pattern d-44 for the front. however, there have recently been improvements and the availability of alloy outer axles for the tj knuckles and I decided this would be easier than trying to change the rear d-44 to match.
6. I used a xj high-pinion d-30 for the tubes.... I also cut the top control arm mount out of the housing, leaving a bit on the front (flat) face where the diff cover bolts to it.
7. I ground on the mount from the d-30, and ground the d-44 housing.. then welded the control arm mount to the housing making sure the flat for the diff cover was exactly parallel and square. this ensured all the angles to be correct except the distance,,really these dont have to be exact as the upper arms I use have heim joints in them. The mounts on the housing is now 1" higher than the other side. I havent decided if I'm going to raise the other mount to match it, or try it as is, but shortening up the upper (adjustable) control arm a bit.
8. I have axleshafts, but hey need to get shortened.. I would send them to moser, but I'm moving soon and I'm afriad they may never find me.

I really wanted locking hubs hen I started all this, but my wife never did.. in the end.. she gets her way.
I should have the gears and locker in it in the next couple weeks. I have all spare parts from the d-30 I used for brakes etc.....this is nice because I shouldnt have any down time.
I'l end up with a high pinion d-44 for the front of a tj with all factory brackets and alloy outer axles It's a deffinate improvement over the d-30 and the only weak point is the stock d-30 tubes that I will truss.
I'll have about $1200 into this axle when its done. This includes $750 for gears install kit and an ARB, $140 for new ball joints, $50 for seals and bearings, $80 to get a couple axleshafts cut, and whatever the alloy outers cost
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2003, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Re: My TJ front d-44 progress (again)

forgot the pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1160550-P8010038.JPG (58.6 KB, 4 views)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2003, 04:28 PM

That looks awesome, I'm gonna have to do something like that for the front of my YJ, soon... I doubt it'll last too much longer in the current 4.56 geared dana 30 form whith the 350 behind it and my liking for the go-pedal... [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2003, 06:30 PM
Keyboard Implanted

The best part is that it is <font color="green"> green </font color>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode