'03 TJ 2.3L Performance - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2003, 02:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

\'03 TJ 2.3L Performance

I've looked all over the place, but there just isn't all that much stuff for the '03 TJ. I know the engine changed but it seems that all the parts say up to 01 or 02. What else did they change? [img]images/graemlins/thud.gif[/img] I really want Gibson Exhaust and a Rancho lift. But I'm thinking I ought to just go ahead and throw a Flowmaster on it and wait until I'm sick of getting stuck to get a lift kit. Maybe by then they'll have one designed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2003, 11:00 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: \'03 TJ 2.3L Performance

I have been fooling with 2.5's for years and although i can't answer your question, why not run the engine stock for now, get some use out of your stock exaust, Make DC happy when they do waranty work, and put a lift on. You are not going to get conciderable gains by simply adding a flow master or gibson exaust, It can only flow so much and if it is like the 2.5 the intake is the limiting side anyway. No sense in opening up one end if you are not sucking more in. There will be a ton of parts for them in the next couple years.

Why rancho lift? I think you can do better for the money. Want a cheep good one look at Rusty's Dont mind spending a few bucks look at RE

Just My .02 but it is your jeep.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2003, 11:01 PM
Veteran

Location: Milwaukee(which is algonquin for the good land)WI U.S.A

Actually call the manufacturer of the products your looking for...all to often especially with a new model year their products have yet to be posted but are available. Rancho's number is 800-574-6257.
John
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2003, 11:04 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

I've noticed that often times, in newer catalogs or listing, that they usually take a little while to add the newest model year to the line-up. As for switching your exhaust out, I second what Rio-Grande said. Stick with your stock setup until it's worn out. Like the old saying goes, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." I like adding, "And if it's broke, upgrade it".
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2003, 01:43 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I would like to second that </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
"And if it's broke, upgrade it".

[/ QUOTE ]
[img]images/graemlins/goodpost.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2003, 09:17 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I just drove my TJ on the highway for more than 5 miles for the first time yesterday. I got to the lake and pulled the windows, which I've done twice. First day I bought and then. The exhaust now sounds like some one gave my motor a double dose of steroids. Does the muffler take time to burnout some of the fiberglass in it or did I just put a hole in my pipe and not know it? I don't see one. Thanks for the keep the exhaust advice, that's what I'm gonna do.
I wanted the Rancho 3" lift because it comes w/ the 9000x's and they (Rancho) say it has an RTI of 1100+ straight out of the box. What do you think? You say Rubicon Express and Rusty's are good?? Thanks. I'll check and compare. Which one do you thnk is the best "bang for your buck"? For now I think I'm just going to get Stabilizer disconnects, TK sliders for the rear, and 30-9.50's or 235/75's. Those will both fit the stock wheels right? I get a bonus here soon and I'll be using that for the lift, Safari rack, and body armor. One of the tire dealers in town will take good used tires as trade-in's on better tires. Mine only have 400 miles, the forming marks are still on 'em. What's a good but affordable tire for very loose dirt, loose rocks and sand? [img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img] Thanks for the advice, and please, keep it coming.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2003, 09:34 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Your new ideas on your build up are good. I like the Rubicon Express kits. a bit more expensive but they are complete.

My suggestions for tires are, for street and mild wheeling. The BFG A/T are very good. If you are gonna get a bit more serious with the wheeling a set of BFG M/T's would be better. I'm not sure if they make the M/T in the 235/75 or the 30"... I've got a set of the A/T 235/75 sitting out in the yard...They are good tires...I pulled them because I found a good deal on some 32 M/T's.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2003, 09:43 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Do the RE kits come with shocks? If so, are they good? If not, are the Rancho RSX's or RS9000's any good? What do the Rusty's kits have and where is the best place to get it?
Also, off-topic, where can I get a good Torx T55 bit for my stabilizer bar removal? [img]images/graemlins/deal.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2003, 10:50 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Don't buy the R/E kit from R/E, it won't come with shocks and will be the same price. I got my lift from OffRoad Toystore and it came with RS5000. The RS5000 are O.K. shocks...they are the only aftermarkets I've had on the Jeep so I can't compare. I understand people to say that the Doetsh shocks tend to be better for the $$$.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2003, 03:08 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Here is a link to rusty's offroad Rusty's Offroad

Only thing i would recomend is to upgrade to the gas charged shocks.

If you have questions about his lifts, call him he is real easy to get along with and even offered to replace my shocks 6 months after I bought them just because I did not like them. Figured it was not his fault i did not like them so i just kept them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode