Axle upgrade with brakes and steering... long - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2003, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

Axle upgrade with brakes and steering... long

So I got my scout home to start the 44 swap, and I got to thinking, now would be the time to uprgrade my steering too. I have manual right now, and would really like to go power. I have been trying to scroung parts for a stock jeep setup, but its either somewhat costly or just not available where I live junkyard wise. What other setups do you guys run? I was interested in the rock ram or somthing similar. It has to be dot legal (I drive the jeep on the roads sometimes too!) and not outrageously expensive. Or what about robbing parts off of donor vehicles? There are zero jeeps up here to raid parts off of, but any other vehicles have the right pumps and steering boxes??
Next question, a while ago I scrounged a power brake booster, with mouinting bracked and master cylinder off a cj. I have 4 wheel drums on my cj, so I never put it on thinking the proportioning might not work right since it was off a cj with disk/drum. I am going to put this on the jeep when I do the axle swap and am just checking to make sure there arn't any obvious reasons not too??? The scout 44 have I believe 11" drums out back and the standard disks up front.

Whew, my fingers hurt...
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2003, 10:39 PM

Re: Axle upgrade with brakes and steering... long

Perhaps this will help. The PO of my 66 CJ5 replaced the manual steering with a power steering setup off a 70s Oldmobile, steering wheel, tilt column, pump and Saginaw box. I guess even the pump bracket worked since I have the Buick V6. It works but he did some fabrication where the column goes through the firewall. The PO also replaced the original drum brakes with front disks and 11" drums in the rear. The donor vehicle was a 77 Ford Granada. He used the original master cylinder but added a reservoir off a VW. Then, he also installed an adjustable proportioning valve in the engine compartment. The adjustment knob controls the braking power ratio between rear and front. I'm happy with the setup. It works well. The only work he didn't complete was to rig up the parking brake cable.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2003, 02:42 AM Thread Starter

Re: Axle upgrade with brakes and steering... long

I guess what you are saying is I can get away with alot... I have no problem tinkering with stuff, but when it comes to steering, I don't want to jerry rig to much, it needs to work, and work right. I was just kinda hoping there was a more common donor vehicle for similar parts out there, the selection here is really poor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2003, 05:53 PM
Journeyman

Waggy

I think I sorted out everything you've asked:

- Get a power steering gear box, pump, brackets and hoses off a Grand Wagoneer. You will need to save your CJ manual steering coupling (connects the steering shaft to the box) because it is the correct size for the GW box (once the rag joint coupling is removed from the box input shaft). The GW box will bolt right up - same pattern as the CJ box. Depending on what you're going to do for your steering will determine if you should use the GW pitman arm, a CJ power steering pitman arm, or an aftermarket dropped pitman arm. Be sure to search the forum for more specifics and details. It's been discussed a bunch here. It's where I got my info for doing this swap.

- The PS pump and brackets should bolt right up to your 304 (is that installed yet - I checked out your web page to get specs on your '77), as the Waggy will have a 360. Double check to insure which pulleys are on your motor in comparison to the pulleys on the donor vehicle's motor. Get what you need when you grab the pump, brackets, and hoses.

- The booster and MC will work just fine as long as you install a proportioning valve for a front disc/rear drum setup, which is what the Scout axles are.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2003, 11:36 PM Thread Starter

Re: Waggy

cool beans I scored my york from a grand, I should have been smart and heisted the power steering stuff too.

As for the 304, no its not in yet, it i here in town and I got the performer cam and manifold in it/on it but with work and the guy thats helping me do it, our schedules don't match at all.

As for the steering I am not sure yet. I am going to take the pitman arm off the scout just to have it, and I have a drop pitman on the cj, but I need to do a little research on how to put it all together on my cj. (Haven't done a swap like this yet.....hopefully when I turn the wheel left, one wheel doesn't go right and the other start spinning!)

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode