Kinda O/T Bought a tow vehicle...need suggestions - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2003, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Location: Milwaukee(which is algonquin for the good land)WI U.S.A

Kinda O/T Bought a tow vehicle...need suggestions

I bought an 88' Ford F-150, 2wd, automatic, with the F.I. 5.0L in it and dual tanks. It's been well maintained and has 120000 miles on it. I know a F-150 is a little on the small side but I couldn't pass it up for what I got it for. So now to my question, what modifications are needed to saftley tow my Jeep. I am planning on doing a tranny cooler and a guage to keep an eye on it. Other than that I need suggestions (short of buying a desiel and putting a
F-350 suspension on it) what modifications will make it better for towing the Jeep? Does anyone else tow with this small of rig...any problems I should watch for?
John
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2003, 09:25 PM

Re: Kinda O/T Bought a tow vehicle...need suggestions

I tow with my half ton dodge, (not my jeep though, my boat) and it is by no means a tow vehicle, but gets the job done I guess. I think it all depends on what type of towing you want to dpo. How do you tow your jeep, trailer, flat tow, dolly or what?? How far do you tow?? Highway, city??? I could see flat towing my jeep (well once it rolls again that is....) behind my dodge no problem, but a trailer just might be too much for it.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2003, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

I plan on trailering or using a dolly whatever I can rent on that particular weekend until I can afford a trailer. It will mostly be used on the highway about the longest trip currently planned is just over 300 miles. I would like to upgrade the springs in the rear to better hold the load (I'm thinking of using F-250 springs from what I understand the lengths are the same and they will bolt in) and like I said before a tranny cooler is in order to better pull it.
John
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2003, 10:03 PM
Keyboard Implanted

John I tow my TJ with a ford explorer. All I have done is add air bags. I already had a transmission cooler. I have less that 150 in the air bags and when we are not towing I let them down to about 15psi and you would never know they were there. I bet you could pull with what you have now. I would try it and see how it did.

BTW I could make you a good deal on a trailer, I want a flatbed. Mine is a utility and the jeep with 32-11.50 gives me about 6 inches on each side.

Heck andy was towing his with an XJ But I heard it was scarey.

As for a dolly, Will came all the way from Arkansas pulling his with a mini van.

I would say what you have is probably fine.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2003, 11:05 PM
tennelmo1

I do construction so I tow alot of heavy loads. What you have will do the job just be careful of stopping. The brakes weren't designed for stopping that kind of weight and it will give you quite a push. If you feel like you are getting tire roll when towing try going to a load E tire.It will make all the dfference.They hold 80 psi and are made to hold that type of weight.I get mine from a local tire store as takeoffs and that way they are pretty reasonable.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2003, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

You guys are makin my day nothing but good news so far.
John
[email protected]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2003, 09:38 AM
Keyboard Implanted

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
What you have will do the job just be careful of stopping. The brakes weren't designed for stopping that kind of weight and it will give you quite a push.

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen brother!

Be carefull not to warp your rotors.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2003, 10:16 AM

Be real careful with the tongue weight to trailer weight ratio... I pulled a trailer with a 4X4 F150 and every once in a while the back of the truck would pull side to side. I thought the axles were going to pop out. Make sure you have a good brake system on the trailer. F150 will need all the help it can get.

[img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2003, 11:07 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

If your'e going to be towing up any hills or anything you're probably going to need more power too. Go for the next heat rated plug up from stock, get good plug wires and if you want a K&amp;N filter and a Purple Hornies glasspack. I used my 87 F-150 almost purley for towing and that was in a hilly area.
I put a glasspack, hotter plugs, a high vibration coil, one of those tranny coolers they have in JC whitney and an aux. fan, a K&amp;N, and a shift kit from B&amp;M. I don't think I even broke 2000$ for the truck and all. Also when you change your oil go for 20W-50, your gas mileage may decrease 1 or 2 mpg but it'll save a load of wear and tear on your engine when it starts heating up from heavy towing. When or if you swap your tranny fluid, forget the Mercron-Dexron III. Get youself B&amp;M Trick shift, it helps the valving do its job better nad since your tranny will be running more efficiently: more power to the ground, less heat, better gas mileage. Enough about drivetrain. You also need helper springs or add-a-leafs and the best Raybestos brakes you can buy. Don't put slotted or cross drilled rotors up front either. Only one of two things will happen: They'll crack-disintegrate-warp or your Jeep may decide it can't slow down as fast as the truck and try to come take a seat in the bed. Not Good. If you get all that done your looking at a long lasting and adept little tow truck or getaway truck...if you venture toward that side of the law. J.J. Now you'll be able to snatch a gum stump through a knot hole. Oh yeah, heavy duty hitch. I'm done! [img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]

By "hotter plugs" I mean plugs that are rated to withstand more heat without fouling. Sorry for the misunderstanding. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2003, 01:07 PM

I used a 95 Ford F150, supper cab, longbed to pull a 5,000 camper. Traveled over 120,000 miles with No problems....A little slower on the hills but I made every pass in the Rockies...The last mile up was in low gear at 5-10MPH,,along with every other truck on the climb..diesel included.
I agree with most comments to date with one exception.."Hotter Plugs",,,just what you dont need to do is add more heat to the engine.
Excellent cooling is a must, tranny cooler, stay with stock fan it pulls more air.
If you pull a dolly,,,electric brakes a must. Best advice is easy on the take off and easy on the stop...Keep the shinny side up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode