90 YJ track bar bushings - removal/installation - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2003, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

90 YJ track bar bushings - removal/installation

The rear track bar of my 90 Wrangler kept binding up whenever the body leaned one way or the other. Made a horrible cracking/clunking noise. I removed the bar and the problem went away. I know some of you are going to say "leave it off", but since I do mostly on-road driving, I find the ride more stable with it on. Figured I'd replace the bushings and see if the binding goes away.

I removed the old bushing by drilling them out. No problem. I ordered Prothane polyurethane replacements from 4WD Hardware...P/N 11202. The track bar "eyes" seem to have a thin metal sleeve pressed into them at each end that the original rubber bushing was pressed into. The new bushing don't seem to fit because of these sleeves...maybe a 0.020" interference on the diameter.

Question: Am I supposed to somehow remove this sleeve too? It looks like it's really part of the track bar (like it's welded in possibly). Or do I have the wrong bushings? Or these are the right bushings, the sleeve belongs there, and I just have to somehow pound the new bushings in there?

Thanks
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2003, 11:00 PM

Re: 90 YJ track bar bushings - removal/installation

I know this is of no help to you, but i don't even run a rear trac-bar on my 91 4.0. It sees a lot of on road miles and i don't even notice a difference. At first i had to do a little psychological adjustment but that was it. I thought i would feel more body roll to the jeep but i don't. I will go look at my trac-bar and see if i can give you some advice on the reinstall. Sounds like you have the wrong replacement part.
[img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2003, 11:11 PM
tennelmo1

I don't have a rear track bar but just recently changed my front ones.that metal ring has to come out.I pressed mine out which was a pain rubber and all.The metal ring stayed so I used an extremely sharp cold chisel and cut it in half then pried it loose with a screw driver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2003, 11:29 PM

I just looked at my old trac-bar.... that inner ring i would do the same thing as mentioned above. try a small flat head or a nice punch or chisel. I would soak it over night, then go to town in the morning. -grease is your friend. [img]images/graemlins/goodpost.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2003, 01:15 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I just did the same install on my 92 yj and yes that "insert" has to come out. That is actually outer part of the old track-bar rubber bushing that is now rusted to the sleeve. I pounded mine out with a chisel being carefull only to land on old bushing part that needs to be removed. After a while the old part will fold over and you'll be able to wedge a screwdriver or something between the old bushing and the sleeve. It not an easy task if yours were as rusted as mine, but after a sore neck and arms you'll get it out. Make sure to put some lithium grease on the rubber of the new bushings. And Oh Yea, keep your track-bars intact, you need all the extra support you can get. See you on the trails, Chris
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2003, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for advice. I tried the hammer/chisel method, but the insert wasn't budging. So I got out the saws-all and scored the insert in two places across its width 180 degrees apart. Went back to work with the hammer and chisel and the insert came out after a few whacks. What a relief. Installed the new bushings and with a little persuasion from a hand sledge, I got the track bar back in. Gave the vehicle a few good shakes by rocking it back and forth using the roll bar. No binding noise. Hopefully, this took care of it. I'll be doing the front track bar bushings too, just for preventive maintenance.

Mike
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2003, 05:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ah, sawsall, yea that would have worked well....I'll remember that when I do the front trackbar.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2003, 06:56 PM
Old Hand

I removed many of these sleeves from my CJ.... They are tight b#$tards anyway and a bit of rust on top and they are absolute pigs... Easiest way is to get a saw blade and saw the sleeve through at one side as far as possible. Then hammer a flat blade screwdriver in between the sleeve and the eye right where you made the cut. The sleeve will split where you made the cut and curl inwards. This will relieve the tension and the sleeve is now easy to knock out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode