Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Jeep-Short Wheelbase (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/)
-   -   ?'s on T-150/D20 Combo (using on YJ) semi-long (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/172927-s-t-150-d20-combo-using-yj-semi-long.html)

YJOwnr22 08-01-2003 06:42 PM

?\'s on T-150/D20 Combo (using on YJ) semi-long

Alright. The YJ isn't running at the time, the BA 10/5 finally bit the dust. I have no gates, it makes a horrific screeching noise in gear, etc. You might recall from an earlier post that I came accross a T150-Dana 20 Combo for $100. I scooped it up. I also got the bellhousing for it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this will just bolt right up to my 258 right? What's going to be the deal with the clutch/pilot bearing... I also got the slave cylinder, etc, for it, and the clutch fork/boot. The one issue I'll have is that it's a passenger side drop.. Basically I'm going to run without a front driveshaft for a month or so (gonna be painful, I know,) until I find a set of 44's out of a Scout or some other psngr side dropped 44 model...

Some might argue that the 150/20 combo is a downgrade from what I'm running now, but I just might disagree. I realize I'm losing my low range in the tranny, but the Dana 20 is indestructible, and the T-150 is much beefier than my BA 10/5. In my mind, it's next to impossible to downgrade from a 10/5. I can always compensate for the lack of a low 1st gear by regearing other areas (t-case, diffs, etc.)

Anyways, can anybody think of any issues I'm going to have? I plan on reusing the same skid plate, as well, and drilling holes for the new mount.

Thanks,
-p

fullygruntled 08-01-2003 10:00 PM

Re: ?\'s on T-150/D20 Combo (using on YJ) semi-long

If I'm not mistaken, you may also need a new bellhousing and clutch linkage. The T150 and BA10/5 bolt patterns are radically different. Both bellhousings match at the engine side, though.

Also check your driveline length. Few trannies are as short as the 3-speeds, so you may have to get shafts resized.

irjpr 08-01-2003 10:18 PM

for all the work you are going to put into this, I would shy away from the t-150. It is reasonably stout (considering) and it is very compact, but why not get a t-18 or even a t-19 (is that the tranny with the 4:1 syncro first???) I had the t-150 in my jeep till the input shaft made itself into two pieces, and there was nothing worse than having 3:1 first gear. It just plain sucks. Period. You probably don't need to go all out and get a wide ratio t-18 if your not out to end up with creepy crawly gears, but I would personally get a tranny with AT LEAST a 4:1 first. As far as the 20 goes, I have zero complaits with mine, other than a bit lower gear would be nice, but that is somewhat easily if not costly to fix.

All depends on what you want out of your jeep, but personally I think you will go through all that work and then find the t-150 just doesn't cut it.

YJOwnr22 08-02-2003 04:16 AM

I really would rather have a T-18, but in the endgame it just boils down to "this is what i have right at this moment." I'm strapped for cash and I managed to get the set for $100.

I've already got the bellhousing/clutch linkage. Anybody see any other potential issues? I'd definetly already considered the driveshaft issue. The 150/20 combo looks to be SIGNIFICANTLY shorter than the BA15 np 241 combo.

-p