power steering woes - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2003, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

power steering woes

The power steering on my YJ has been giving me attitude for the last month or so. It feels as if the system is binding somewhere - the steering is nice and smooth for a bit of the turn, then really quite stiff through other parts of it, making for a really jerky feel to the steering. I can't tell if it's a pump problem or somewhere else in the system. The ujoints in the steering shaft don't have zerks, but everything else has been recently greased. It does look like the bushings on the tie rod ends have seen better days (actually, it looks like one is altogether gone). This may be a contributing factor, but I'm not sure it's the root cause, as the problem happened a while ago, then seemed to go away for a bit, and has started again in earnest this past week. Any ideas? Would a loose belt slipping on the pump cause something like this (i have noticed some squeal early in the morning), did i miss a grease fitting somewhere, or am i looking at a new pump?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2003, 12:07 PM
Official Curmudgeon

Re: power steering woes

I think you may be looking in the wrong place. At least on my CJ what you have described is classic for time to change the front axle u-joints, not the steering u-joints, not the driveshaft joints but the actual axle shaft joints.

There are a number of other things it could be, and if my tie rod ends were in the shape yours seem to be, I'd be replacing them anyway, but I don't think they are causing the binding problem.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2003, 12:57 PM

I had the same problem on my yj some time back. Found it was the steering shaft. Remove it and see if the joints on the end are binding. (you may see rust at the cups on the joint) Mine whould bind at every half turn of the steering wheel. Mine also whould come and go at times. [img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2003, 06:23 PM
Journeyman

Definitely the front axleshaft ujoints. I just typed this in a thread a couple of days ago. Jack up both sides of the front end, remove the tires, unlock the steering column, and try to turn the knuckles by hand. You will quickly find out which side is binding.

I had one get so bad before breaking down and fixing it that the steering wouldn't recenter by itself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode