What is the purpose of twin stick shifters? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2003, 01:23 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

What is the purpose of twin stick shifters?

Hey all,
I searched the board and i have been lookign on line but i have not found anything. Does anyone have any links or anything or able to just tell me what the twinstick conversions are for? Is it better control of sorts or what? Prolly soundin dumb, but trying to leanr you know?
Thanks all,
-Nick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2003, 01:36 AM

Re: What is the purpose of twin stick shifters?

twin stick is in regards to transfer cases.

yee old YJ has a single stick and can select one of:
4lo
4hi
N
2wd

the twin stick allows people more options like 2 wheel Low.
which is very useful for makeing tight turns.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2003, 01:50 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

thanks for the info, I actually just found an article on it. I like the idea of it, hmm, on a semi-related topic, can anyone give me soem good advice on a Dana 300, like what are the benefits, cost and so on. It would be much appreciated. Thanks again Speed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2003, 02:07 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

Some benifits of a D300 are as follows...

- Shorter than an NP231 by about 4-5 inches
- Very STRONG gearset
- Easily adapted to most transmissions
- Many mods available on the market(4:1 kit, stronger output, clocking rings, flip kits, and so on)

Those are just a few. I probably missed some.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2003, 02:20 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

All sounds good to me, when i do enf up getting it, which i think i will, am i going to need to go SYE with it (i am installing a 4" lift this weekend) and obviously the D300 wont come for a long while...so i guess my question is, should i deal with the t-case drop until i can get the Dana 300? and would i need a SYE for it? I also figure that upon installing it i would need a custom drive shaft?
-Nick
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2003, 02:33 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

Well, first off, let's throw this on the table. The D300 will not work in a YJ without either swapping in a different front end(like I did), or flipping the D300 with a proper flipkit. The reason is because an NP231 has the drop of the front output shaft on the driverside, where as a D300 has it on the passenger side. As for a SYE, you do not need this with a D300 as it already has a fixed yoke. If you were asking about an SYE for your current tcase and your 4" lift, it probably wouldn't hurt to put on in. You more than likely can get by with just dropping the tcase a bit, but I don't know for sure...each Jeep is different. Usually anytime that you modify your drivetrain, either shortening or lengthening it, or lifting the Jeep, you need to have your driveshaft modified, or have a custom one built. Hope I've been somewhat of a help, and I'm pretty sure most my info is correct. Someone speak up if it isn't.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2003, 02:50 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yeah, i remember reading something about needing a flip kit for the D300 to work with the YJ. I was wondering if it would be more cost effective to go SYE and a new driveshaft for now, and later on get the D300 with the flip kit (since i probably wont be getting a new tranny anytime soon) or if i should just run the t-case drop until i have the money for the D300 and adapter?????
-Nick
Also, any advice is a big help (and GREATLY appreciated), even if it is only half accurate, because that way someone will correct or add on to it and i will learn even more.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2003, 07:04 AM

If you are serious obout the 300 Tcase, I would install the drop kit for now and save the 300.00-400.00 on the SYE. The Driveshaft lenth should be OK. I have a 2.5" lift and with the drop kit, I had no problem. If not, The SYE works well too. My jeep had a light vibration at highway speeds with the Tcase dropped. 0 vibration with the SYE and Double C joint driveshaft.

[img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2003, 08:08 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Just curious, but what reasons are you wanting to swap to a D300. Depending on your setup, the NP231 is more than enough. You can also slap a 4:1 kit into it if you'd like more versatility.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2003, 08:36 AM
Keyboard Implanted

unless you are going to swap out your front axle for a bigger unit.. and upgrade your rear axle.. i wouldnt waste time and money on the d300.. and the flip kit.. that some cash there.. when you may only need the 231.. with the sye..

so on that note.. what do you plan on doing? what type of wheelin.. how big do you want to go?? these are question you must ask yourself.. and get an idea now..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode