Battery going dead overnight - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2003, 11:19 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Battery going dead overnight

Actually it takes a few nights.

I have two batteries with a bettery isolator. Only the starting battery is having the problem. The things I have hooked up to the this battery are the MSD6A, Megasquirt, and the other normal Jeep stuff. I just changed the isolator with a brand new one and the problem did not change. My first guess was the alternator, so I got a new one under warranty.

Could the starting solenoid be the problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2003, 11:33 PM

Re: Battery going dead overnight

anything being possible I guess it *could*, but I would guess its not the problem. You could look it at and see if it is mounted securely and if there is any obvious sign of it grounding out to the body and causing a short. My guess is you have a short somewhere else and its draining you battery.
THis is by no means a good way to test, but if chasing wires isn't your thing, one by one switch over your stuff hooked up to your good battery and see what kills it. Then you have a much smaller mess of wire to track through.

HTH
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2003, 11:35 PM

brain fart, i mean hook up stuff from dead battery over to new battery....

i need another beer [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2003, 11:37 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Voltage regulator?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2003, 01:25 AM

I had the same thing happen to me recently. Turned out to be adjustable temp. switch for electric fans had gone south and drained the battery overnight. This kept on even after a 105 amp alternator was installed. Check for drains.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2003, 02:27 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

Do you have any fuses hooked up inline with the battery? I've heard of pulling them one by one and seeing if that cures it.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2003, 02:19 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I was gonna suggest the same as James. Basically, with your key off you shouldn't have any power being used. If you have inline fuses (especially the newer FLAT fuses) you can see a spark when you pull a fuse that's in use. That'll tell you what circuit is using power. Then it's up to you to find out why. But that's usually a HUGE step in the right direction.

If you have the older glass fuses, you could use a meter to see if the circuit is using power, but that's a little out of my league, so I'll shut up now.

Good luck!!!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2003, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

I have four wires coming off this battery. One goes to my MSD6A, another goes to my MegaSquirt fuel injection, another goes to the battery isolator, and the last goes to the starting solenoid. I assume if there was a problem with anything down line of the battery isolator (like the alternator) it would effect both batteries, so it must be something to do with the MSD or the MegaSquirt or the starting solenoid. I will dissconnect the starting solenoid cable and see if that is the problem.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2003, 07:53 PM

If I had the problem I would disconnect everything from the positive terminal. I would then put an ampmeter in series from the battery to each device's lead, one at a time. The circuit with a reading is probably where to start looking.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2003, 10:49 AM

Amp meters are very helpful. The new VOM they make today are very acurrate. If its just one battery, swap the batteries to see if its the battery. It might be cheaper to by a inexpensive VOM (volt Ohm Meter) then to keep guessing were the draw is. If you can't afford a meter, and both batteries prove to drain after a couple of days, Start disconnecting on thing at a time and let the Jeep sit. When the Voltage stops draining, you have it licked.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode