O/T Electric!!!!!! How to get 220V from 3phase. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2003, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

O/T Electric!!!!!! How to get 220V from 3phase.

Well here is the deal. I just bought a used 7000 lb lift. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] It took a hit from the jeep funds [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img], but will make working on the jeep much, much easier [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]. The orginal plan was to just run a 220 line across the wall to the lift and then down for a place to plug the welder into. Then I take a look at the motor and OPPS its 3phase. 3 phase is not a big deal for me, because my shop is setup for 3 phase. Well then the idea hits me. I know we had a lathe that was 220, running off of one of the 3 phase lines. So then the idea gets better. It would be so nice to be able to plug the welder in anywhere in the shop and not use a extension cord. But where the lift is, for some reason there was never any 3 phase or 220 run down to that corner of the shop. So now i have to run some emt,THHN, and add another plug or three. Thats no big deal.

But the big question is, how do you take 220 from 3phase?

[img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2003, 07:51 PM
Official Curmudgeon

Re: O/T Electric!!!!!! How to get 220V from 3phase.

Have you checked the nameplate? Most 3-phase motors are dual voltage, I've never seen one that wasn't. Check inside the wiring box and you may find a schematic for the lead connection combinations.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2003, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

No its 3 phase. I've never seen a motor that can go from 3 phase to single phase. Yes most three phase motors can run at 220, 440, 6??, but that is all at three phase, not single phase.

I couldnt imagine what a three phase/single phase motor would cost. That would be pricey.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2003, 09:03 PM

You gotta read the tag and see how shes wound, most motors have may possible hookups to work with the many differnet voltages available... then its a matter giving them little electrons a path from your panel to the motor and back. I just build the poles and hang the transformers, I don't hook up the usable voltage side of this stuff so I couldn't really tell ya how. I could tell you all sorts of neat stuff about transformer hookups though, like delta/wye, wye/delta, angular displacement, the list goes on....
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2003, 09:13 PM

240 Volt 3-phase has 240 volts between any two legs. I don't know if it's cricket, but I have used two legs to run 220 Volt motors.

Also, I'm sure it's not cricket, but I have used one leg and ground to run my 120 Volt Miller wire feeder. Worked fine as a temporary setup, but I'm sure an electrician would have kicked my rump.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2003, 09:20 PM

not to be a total flaming ass either, this is one of those things that if you don't know, you *might* be better off to run your condiut and pull some wire and get everything ready on both ends and then hire someone to do the hookup. (just cause many people get in over their heads with electricity and end up getting hurt or dead...) But after that, tear open your panel, tear open the motor, study all the connections, and pilfer all the knowledge you can so that next time you know exatcly how to do it! If you don't know what wire to run and such, you can use this formula that will give you full load currnet of your motor.
(bear with me here on making this work in text...)
I(amps)= (hp x 746)/(square root of 3 x E x efficiency x power factor)

So lets say you got a 5hp motor on 220v, efficiency 80% power factor 85%, plug in numbers and you get 14.4 amps.
This is probably WAAAYYYY more than any of you guys wanted to know, but hey, I like math, and math and something jeep related is even cooler!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2003, 09:23 PM
Can't Get Enough

Re: O/T Electric!!!!!! How to get 220V from 3ph

Jim, you can do that. You are running a single phase motor on a 3 phase drop. But I don't know any cheap way of running a 3 phase motor on single phase drop. I think the best way is to replace the motor with a single phase one.

The 3 phase around here is L1=120 volts, L2=120 volts, L3=208 volts. Any two legs= 240 volts. I think they call it wild leg, grounding the delta wound transformer between L1 and L2. L3 is the hypotinuse? of the triangle.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2003, 09:29 PM
Official Curmudgeon

Possibly I misunderstood your original post, it wasn't real clear in some areas. I understood it to read that you had 3-phase available, only it was the wrong voltage.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2003, 10:03 PM

I took it to mean that he had three-phase but wanted to run 220 single phase devices off of it.

Going the other way - running a 3-phase motor off 220, is more difficult. There are electronic devices, generically called add-a-phase, that will trick a 3-phase motor into starting up on 220 single, but I've been told that the motor will only run at about 2/3 power.

Then there are rotary phase converters that look like a combination motor/generator. They will produce true three-phase power, but typically cost about the same as a single-phase motor. I got one for my milling machine so that I can instantly reverse the spindle. For the lathe I ditched the 3-phase motor and bought a 10 HP single phase.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2003, 10:48 PM

off topic here, but what type of lift? Like a ramp lift or one with the swing in arms??? Cool beans either way, would be MUCH better than floor jacking all the time! I don't even have a garage at my house, and my parents are a bit tired of me working out of theirs.... Can't wait to buy a house!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode