OLD cj headers needed - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2003, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

OLD cj headers needed

You know the ones, those old, beat up headers sitting behind the shed....

Incase your wondering why I want old ones...
I've got a '68 jeepster and i've been working out how to get more leg room under the dash, i've got a nice tilt comumn, and I want the hole in the firewall as high as I can. Well, I would like to try and mock up a new exhaust using an old header that I can chop up, so I can put the steering shaft through there.

I would like to find a set of Ford cj v8 fenderwell exit headers (My Buick 340" v8 has evenly spaced exhaust ports), but Chevy or AMC fenderwell ones would work.

Anyone about to toss some out? Thom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2003, 06:01 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: OLD cj headers needed

I've got them!!!!

You can have them!!!

Come to Charlotte NC and pick them up!!!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2003, 07:12 PM
Journeyman

I think I will soon have what you are looking for. I have a '75 CJ5 with AMC 304 V8. It has some fenderwell headers and cherry bombs that I am removing. The driver side at least has some holes in the header. To me they are scrap.

My plan is to put together a quieter in frame dual setup from misc. parts. Just ordered a pair of in frame headers from 4WD and gonna wing it from there.

Email me if you want them, they should fit in the boxes that my new headers come in, so I could UPS 'em to you or whatever.

Anyone got any ideas / advice on what to put past the headers? Is the catalytic converter required for engine performance or just emissions? My plan is just to put some mufflers and skip the cat (no emissions testing in FL). No worse than what I had emissions wise.

Lastly, anyone have any ideas on how to get the steering U Joint off the shafts? The steering shaft goes right through the driver's side header.

TIA for answers

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2003, 12:48 AM
Mud in my Veins

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
<font color="blue"> Lastly, anyone have any ideas on how to get the steering U Joint off the shafts? The steering shaft goes right through the driver's side header. </font color>

[/ QUOTE ]

Take the "lock" bolt out of the coupling at the steering box, spread the ears slightly, and yank it off. Getting the 25+ year old shaft to collapse slightly will be major fun (PITA).
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2003, 02:53 PM
Journeyman

Thanks Caver! The lower bolt was tough to loosen, but the upper one (right next to the bottom of steering wheel) came out fine. Used a chisel to pry the ears apart and it just about dropped off!

One header off, one to go.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2003, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

The more I look at it, the more work it will require to modify the AMC or Chevy ones (siamesed exhaust ports) Thanks anyhow [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
The Cataletic converters are required for emissions. If you don't have inspections, I suppose you could ditch 'em.
To get the steering shaft off, you may need to loosen up the column, and slide it out of the way. There is a bolt going through a clamp on hte shaft joints, Pull it all the fay out, then the shaft will slide off the splines.
Thom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode