Crash! simple safety upgrade saved major injury - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2003, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

Crash! simple safety upgrade saved major injury

I just came from my friends house where they had recently unloaded his 76 CJ-7 from the rollback. Sometimes my buddy would forget to buckle up but, God was watching him this afternoon and he had that belt on. I know, it's not smart to ride without one, and I feel naked without one, but sometimes when you're making a short little trip around the corner it's easy to not put it on. He was a little over a mile from his house when someone ran a stopsign [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img], T-boned a van coming in the opposite direction and spun the van into him. His driver seat is now flush with the outside edge of the body of the jeep. It bent the driverside rear wheel almost in half, completely ripped the rear spring mount off the frame, and twisted the shackle mount on a 45 degree bend. He said when he got stopped he happened to look up and this tire come flying back down and landed right behind him. He didn't realize until he got out of the jeep that it was his rear 33 inch swamper that was knocked completely off the rim. He just had upgraded last month from the lap belt and added a shoulder belt. He's just sore but if he hadn't of had that shoulder belt he would have hit the van with more than just his hip. It really opened my eyes, and I've known for sometime that I should upgrade my 80cj-5 from only a lap belt to at least a shoulder belt. I actually have one laying in the shop, but I've never had the "time" to do it. Well, my 5 is not getting out on the road again until I have that shoulder belt installed. I know this may be common sense to most of you and really it was to me, I've just been lazy and not taken the time to really address the seat belt issue. Seeing this tonight made me realize that my Lazyness/stupidity could cost me my life one day because I didn't do the common sense thing and beef up the safety features of my jeep. [img]images/graemlins/chair.gif[/img] I'll probably get a reaming from some of ya'll and I deserve it, but at least now I see the error of my ways and maybe from posting this someone will think about their's too. No one is invincible and that short little trip to the store can lead to a 6 ft trip instead, if you don't have your gear in order.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2003, 10:53 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Re: Crash! simple safety upgrade saved major injury

I don't think you'll get reamed at all. Sometimes we all need a little reminder to get us back on track with what really needs done on our Jeeps. That nice stereo in a Tuffy might be a fun toy, but it'd be hard to listen to it when you're stuck in a hospital bed.

I've been wanting to add shoulder belts to my CJ for a long time now too. LEVE had a great write up as to attaching belts to the roll bar without drilling. My bar doesn't have the hole needed to bolt a seatbelt too. Thanks for the story, it got me on another Jeep mission.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2003, 12:01 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I just got some shoulder belts for my CJ and was wondering how I was going to hook them up to the roll bar. Mine is "holeless" also. I must have missed the write up. How about it LEVE, could you send it to me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2003, 12:12 AM
Way Outta Control

Thanks for reminding us - we all need to be shaken up once in awhile.
I'm very guIlty about sitting on my belts, even though I've had several experiences racing where if I wasn't belted, I'd be pushing up flowers.

Hopefully your little reminder, and his experience, will save somebody on here.

THANKS!!!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2003, 12:46 AM
Way Outta Control

1. Sure...
2. Here it is:

post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2003, 12:53 AM
Official Historian

That was the main complaint I had with my jeep when I got it. In 1998, I bought a YJ roll bar for the 3 point seatbelt mounts and last year finally got a set of 3 point seatbelts and mounted them. Fortunately, I didn't need them before I got them and haven't needed them yet but at least I feel safe now.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2003, 03:17 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey Scott.
Exactly, no reaming at all, and anyone that did would only do it out of concern for his fellow man. I am 18 yrs old and have totalled two cars. Neither of which were my fault, nor could i have done anything to avoide them. Until you have been through it, there is no way you can imagine the gravity of such a seemingly small and insignificant item such as a shoulder harness, however, its situations like these that make people grow, mature, and learn. Im glad your friend is alright, I know how he feels, give him my best and do what you can to insure you take the precautions you need to, and watch out for those ignorant teenage drivers that, trust me, I cant even stand. Both times i was hit it was by kids my age, kinda shames me to see there ignorance force me to pay higher insurance rates! Be safe all...
-Nick
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2003, 03:55 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] I STILL HAVE the picture of the white CJ-7 that rolled down the mountain and the body separated from the frame! When we get back on task and restart the SNOJEEP project, we will be continuing the process of beefing up the frame-to-body connections so that our rollcage and seatbelt system stays where it is. We got a nice lap-shoulder belt system to install as well. [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Your buddy was fortunate that the car didn't t-bone his Jeep. [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1159034-roll_over.jpg (67.9 KB, 6 views)
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2003, 07:06 AM

The other way to do it that looks a little cleaner is to drill a hole that goes all the way through. Then, take a steel bushing (I used a spare metal shock bushing with the split welded together) and insert it through the hole in the roll bar. You can then fillet weld the bushing to the roll bar, grind down the excess and then run a Grade 8 bolt with a nut on the other end through the bushing. This is how I mounted my harnesses to the rear shoulder bar on my cage.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2003, 09:27 AM
Way Outta Control

That's a great picture CJdave -
Shows what potentially can happen.

In this case the rollbar was attached to the body, and the seat belts were also attached to the body. The body formed a nice little safety capsule.

Imagine if it was as above, but the belts were attached to the frame? The belts would cut the occupant in half as they pulled through the floor!

Imagine the belts were attached to the body like above, but the cage was on the frame - it would pull down on the occupants -- they make gopher traps like that.

The lesson -- either ALL the safety equipment - the cage, and ALL attachment points of the belts are attached to the body only, or the body is securely attached to the frame so they cannot separate, or even move. Body mounts are typically rubber with a fairly small bolt through them - into sheet metal.

Frame mounting the cage is great, as long as the body cannot move independantly.

Take a tour around a wrecking yard, it's amazing how many body/frame separations in wrecks you'll see. They may be together now, but you can see on impact they separated a few inches.

Notice car makers attach the belts to the body, and makers like Jeep that put a cage on, it too is attached to the body. There's a reason, and it's not from being cheap.

Next time you buckle up, imagine how you'd feel if your belt just got tighter by only 3 inches!

Take a serious look at yours, imagine the worst, plan for it.

Sometimes you hear folks say "I'm not going to roll it hard," or "I just drive it gently, it's my dailey driver."
What if someone hits you in the street?, or knocks you off the trail." Why would anyone plan a roll or accident - hard or soft?

IT'S YOUR FUTURE -- BE THERE!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode