adapting a 350 to t-176 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2003, 04:12 PM
drunkinhillbilly

adapting a 350 to t-176

i have a 350 and i have a t176 and i want to put the two together but i dont have the right bellhousing. i have heard that i could use a bellhousing out of a 80-83 cj with a inline 4. however there are no junkyards around me that cary anything jeep. [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] i called advance adapteres but i dont have the money for that plus they say that if i get there bellhousing i have to use there clutch because all othere clutches will not fit. does any one know of any other way of adapting these two? or can any one point me in the direction of a jeep specific junk yard that i can call.

thanks, Colin [img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2003, 04:21 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: adapting a 350 to t-176

I know driving aroung CT looking for Jeep yards is a pita but try these:

Yales salvage in Montvalle, they list several parts CJ's

Websters in Terryville. They also list several tcases.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2003, 04:30 PM
drunkinhillbilly

nope neither of them have any cjs left. i need to move to a diffrent state. any other sugestions even out of state, i could get something shiped.

thanks anyway, colin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2003, 04:39 PM

I'd be interested to see if a 4cyl bellhousing will work too. I was planning on getting the AA BH from a friend who no longer needs it when I swap in my Vortec 350
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2003, 05:57 PM
Official Curmudgeon

My understanding is that the 4 banger bellhousing will not work. I've got the AA bellhousing and using a standard GM truck flywheel with pressure plate for a 12" clutch. The passenger car flywheel/pressure plate will work if you're happy with the smaller clutch. The GM clutch spline is wrong but I believe mine is stock Ford (been a while I don't remember for sure). It also uses the OEM Jeep throwout bearing and clutch arm.

There was an adapter plate available for the 350 to T176. About half the cost of the bellhousing.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2003, 06:31 PM

I did a little research on AA's website. If you can find a bellhousing from the Iron Duke (GM 4cyl used in Jeeps), you are all set and don't need any additional adapters. The question becomes - does the T176 bolt to the Iron Duke bellhousing?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2003, 09:30 PM
Old Hand

I just went to the shed and looked at my iron duke bellhousing (spare parts are cool [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]). It has to be drilled to work with the ford pattern trannys (like the t-176) but the bosses are already there, just not drilled. I know they'll work with the sr-4, t-4, t-5, and t-150. But with a little drilling it should work. Just FYI, to use the iron duke bellhousing, you have to use the smaller 153 tooth flywheel and 10.4" clutch. It's what I have in mine now and so far so good, but an 11" or 12" would be preferable.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2003, 09:44 PM
Journeyman

I've actually got one of those bellhousings that you are asking about, unfortunately I have to hold on to it for the very same reason you're asking. And yes it will bolt straight up to a GM 350. It came out of an 83 CJ-7 with the GM 4 cyl with a 176 bolted to it. As long as it is the GM 4 cyl then it will work. I still have the 4 cyl if anyone wants one for some reason. My plan is to use the bellhousing when I upgrade my 5.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2003, 09:56 PM
Journeyman

Sorry fellas, I forgot to finish the statement, The 176 that was hooked up to the bellhousing in question is in my 5 now, I had an SR-4 that went south on me so i picked up the whole drivetrain out of the 83. The bellhousing used by the SR-4 just had to be drilled out a little and tapped to bolt the 176 to it and it works fine. If I remember right, the shafts are the same diameter and length on the SR-4 and the 176 in this case. Sorry for all the numbers.
I believe Lakewood also makes a bellhousing to do the 350/t176 conversion, but I believe it's a little pricey.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode