OT - removing laptop screen - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2003, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
MNT
Addict

OT - removing laptop screen

Does anyone know how to (if possible) to take the screen off a laptop and put it in a seperate location from the CPU part of the laptop. I am trying to do something like the custom setup on the CBrack page. Something along these lines cbrack If I can get the screen separated, I might even see if CBrack can make a similar setup for me.

TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2003, 12:55 PM
Way Outta Control

Re: OT - removing laptop screen

1. Yes it is possible,
2. There are limiting factors such as:[*] Length of wiring.[*] Signal strength to the Screen from the motherboard.[*] Shielding the extended harness.[*] and a few things I can't think of.
3. Me, I'm planning on using an HP Omnibook 800, it's[*] Cheap,[*] Small, [*] Plenty bright,[*] The wires can be extend.
4. Like most plans... it's far, far in the future.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2003, 01:08 PM
Official Curmudgeon

I'm not sure what your purpose in this is, but to answer your question, it should be no problem to remove the screen. There should be several screws to take the bas cover off and then at some point you will see how the screen hinges remove. You will also find a place where probably a flat ribbon cable to the screen plugs into the mother board. Therein lies the problem, you may or may not be able to easily find an extension cable or the proper connector ends to make your own. You may have to cut the cable and extend it buy soldering another cable into it. If you do the latter, make sure that you space out the splices so you won't have a big ball of taped sliced in the middle.

As far as what is shown in the link you provided, I wouldn't be surprised if you could find software to invert the screen image without having to actually invert the screen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2003, 01:08 PM
Addict

A Big Hammer will remove it, but it sounds like you want it to work when you are done, so I wouldn't recommend my method.

[img]images/graemlins/thud.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2003, 03:36 PM

Here's another suggestion and what I plan to do.
This will cost you an extra $200, but may be worth it.
Buy an adapter for your laptop that converst the VGA output to composite (RCA style) output. Then buy one of those Playstation LCD screens. Run the composite wire to the Playstation LCD and mount the LCD screen on your overhead console.
This allows you to still have a working, easily removable laptop, the laptop can remain safely secured in your center console, and it's easily upgradeable if you want to switch laptops.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2003, 03:41 PM
Enthusiast

Maybe give these guys a looksee. I don't know anything about them, just a site I came across the other day looking for cb install ideas. Maybe an email to them can get you some info.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2003, 04:06 PM
KenTheJeepGuy

it all depends on alot of things, biggest of which is What laptop is it? laptops are all different.

also think about what purposes you will have for the computer.

will you need to use the keyboard? or a mouse? if so that may cause issues. like the upside down laptop on their site is going to be useless as anything more than a screen. have you ever tried to use a keyboard or a mouse upside down?

I want a laptop in my jeep for MP3 playing, GPS navigation, DVD watching, and anything else you can use a laptop for in a jeep.
but i will need keyboard and mouse... so with that in mind i am looking for a more traditional mounting, one like in police cars, where the laptop sits at armrest level and swings and folds away on an arm.

if you dont need a computer as a computer, then you are better off just buying a lcd screen and using that for wahtever.

and as far as the computer to RCA style jack (to use with a playstation screen) i dont think that would work if they even make such a thing. first of all computer monitors run at a TOTALLY different resolution than a TV. the playstaion screen are designed to be small TV screens, where a laptop is a computer monitor. totally different. i would not mix the 2 at all. there are ways to do it, but it looks like total crap. i would avoid that.

and the inner connections of a laptop are totally different than a normal pc. so dont think just cuz you can switch a monitro on your home pc that you will be as lucky on a laptop. i used to build computers on the side for people, and i dont even like to take a laptop apart they are so delicate and tricky to work on.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2003, 04:23 PM
Addict

My Dell Latitude has that adapter built right into it. It has a little pigtail that plugs into the side and you can plug an RCA cable into it.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2003, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
MNT
Addict

I would use it for pretty much what you have listed (mp3, GPS, dvd) etc. Maybe have cameras on the corners of the jeep, who knows. But I would like to put the monitor overhead and hve the keyboard down lower. Maybe folding out of the dash, or out of my Tuffy console. Haven't thought about that. If you look further down on the cbrack page you can see where the 2nd version of that overhanging computer was done. I actually talked to the cbrack guy (was very nice and helpful) and if I remember right, he just did the work, not the computer stuff, but that monitor is seperate from everything else. That is what I am shooting for. I am not sold on it though. I guess I could mount the whole laptop, but everywhere I can think of would either be in my way, passengers way or obstruct switches.

This also based somewhat on the "coolness" factor. I just think that the sperarte screen is cool. Now maybe a touch screen is the way to go [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

thanks
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2003, 05:20 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
and as far as the computer to RCA style jack (to use with a playstation screen) i dont think that would work if they even make such a thing. first of all computer monitors run at a TOTALLY different resolution than a TV. the playstaion screen are designed to be small TV screens, where a laptop is a computer monitor. totally different. i would not mix the 2 at all. there are ways to do it, but it looks like total crap. i would avoid that.

[/ QUOTE ]

They do in fact make that. I didn't just pull that out of the air. I am a computer programmer/analyst and know a thing or two about computers.
My $200 quote above included $100 for the adapter (that DOES exist) and $100 for the small 5" LCD screen.
Tha adpter converts the VGA output to a resolution that is compaitble with a TV screen. On a small LCD screen, the resolution will look just fine.
Please know what you are talking about before you tell me I'm wrong.

*Edit
Here is a link with the converters I am talking about:
VGA to TV converters
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode