Arrrgggghhh! - I hate my fuel gauge sender!!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2003, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

Arrrgggghhh! - I hate my fuel gauge sender!!!

When I had the gas tank out a couple of weeks ago I really went to work on that stupid sender. For about a year it would read no less than half full. I could see no physical problems. I cleaned the sender. It read a little erratically so I tightened the sweep arm on the windings and it seemed to read more accurately. When I reassembled I was very happy because it read emtpy at empty. I filled the tank and drove around trying to actually use gas. I was very happy because last night I finally got down to about a quarter of a tank. I was going to drive it dry and see where the needle sat but this morning I fire up the Jeep and my gauge reads full!! I didn't sleep walk and fill the thing last night. The needle actually floats a little so it looks like there is movement but just incredably wrong. I haven't taken an ohm reading yet, but know that the sender is spitting out garbage. Now I have to start over again. What I don't get is what is happening. There is NOT a physical hang up, and it's not a very complicated circuit... just a sweep arm on some winding that varies the resistance. I'm about to say screw it and install a brand new one even if I have to buy a new pump assembly to do it. Any ideas?

Frustrated

-JL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2003, 05:58 PM

Re: Arrrgggghhh! - I hate my fuel gauge sender!!!

Hate to say it,,,,,,,, but buy the new one and install it you will be much happier. You might want to dissconnect the wire from the sender unit and check it to ground before replacing the sender. You may have a short to ground on the wire to the guage.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2003, 06:06 PM
Way Outta Control

1. Read up on Grounds on a Jeep.
2. The problem is likely a bad ground circuit...
3. Ya just gotta go and fix 'em one at a time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2003, 07:11 PM

Does anybodies gas gage work properly? From jeepsters, Cj's, even Yj's everyone i know has the same problem. I guess it is kind of a running joke with my buddies. We all hate the guess work but none of us want to fix the problem. mine (a 91 yj) reads correct only on alternate Tuesdays, but it leaks consistently when full!!! Is this some sort of Jeep trait, an instinct passed down from generation to generation? Keep us posted with your progress. [img]images/graemlins/thud.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2003, 07:18 PM
Way Outta Control

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Does anybodies gas gage work properly?

[/ QUOTE ]1. Yep...
2. Mine does!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2003, 07:44 PM

I would expect nothing less!! -Just kidding- I need to get mine going, just un-motivated. My to do list just gets bigger and bigger. Champagne taste on a soda pop budget! [img]images/graemlins/thud.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2003, 07:48 PM

Does anybodies gas gage work properly?

[/ QUOTE ]
1. Yep...
2. Mine does!

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] As does mine, [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img] gas guage working that is [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img].
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2003, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I'll definately check the ground. I'm hoping beyond hope that it's a loose ground somewhere. That's better than dropping that tank again. The problem is that it doesn't peg like when I pull the connection completely... It just reads wrong. Hopefully a loose ground is the culpret. I'll keep you all informed.

-JL
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2003, 11:43 PM

Mine use to read no less than 1/8. Ran it that way for years. Finaly decided to fix it, lots of miles on the pump, pulled the tank and found lots of dirt between the tank and skid plate causing the tank to bow up in the middle pushing the sender up causing the inaccurate reading. I couldn't find a aftermarket pump, so I found a Chrysler reman for about $160.oo (cost + 10%, I work for a dealer) Also the sender isn't sold alone you have to buy the pump. (93 yj) On the fuel leak on full some yj's have a recall on the fuel pump module to tank seal. [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2003, 10:34 AM
GONE_TRAIL_RIDIN

y gas gauge had that same kinda problem......if i had a full tank of gas it would say it was half full, and if it was half full it would say its empty, and i was driving around one night and it stalled on the highway because i had no clue how much gas i had....and then i took it wheeling and it sat at full when i know theres only like maby a 1/4 of a tank in their and now it only reads at full..so its messed. [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode