TeamRush Upgrade with Electronic Distributor - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2003, 05:01 PM
jeremaines

TeamRush Upgrade with Electronic Distributor

I've recently replaced my Carter BBD with a Weber and at the same time Nuttered and TeamRushed it. I need to know if I need to replace the distributor to properly install the TR upgrade since mine does not have flyweights?

If so, could someone please give me a suggestion on which distributor to replace it with? Maybe an older CJ7?

Thanks,
Jeremy
'84 CJ7 258-I6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2003, 06:15 PM

Re: TeamRush Upgrade with Electronic Distributor

You're all set. I'm not quite sure what you mean by flyweights though...
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2003, 06:23 PM
Way Outta Control

1. The TR TFI upgrade will work with out modification to the base distributor.
2. All this does is boost voltage to the coil/plugs.
3. It should not require modification of the vacuum curve,
4. Which is what the centrifugal weights would do...
5. So, how does it run?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2003, 06:36 PM
jeremaines

The jeep runs fine, just rich, which I can't seem to correct. The question came from the belief that with the mechanical distributors, the centrifugal weights controlled the "vacuum curve" as you describe it. Since, however, I have a distributor without these weights, the computer would have to control this "curve". Now that the computer has been "Nuttered", this control is now longer present in the distributor. So I need to know if I need to "Un-Nutter" the system or replace the distributor with one from a previous CJ7 model? Am I making sense? or am I not understanding how this whole thing works?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2003, 07:10 PM
Way Outta Control

1. The computer only controls about 2*+ or - when it senses the knock sensor activation.
2. I'd not put it back..
3. However you may want to fool around with the metering pins to lean it out.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2003, 01:44 PM

If you replaced the BBD with a weber, you should not use the computer anymore (the computers main goal in life was controlling the stepper motor on the BBD)

post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2003, 03:02 PM
Addict

FYI, my Weber runs great EXCEPT that it runs rich. Didn't want you to feel like the Lone Ranger. I believe the cure to be different jets. Not sure which ones but I am doing research and have ordered the Weber book. When I solve my problem I will post it here.

Scott
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2003, 03:32 PM
jeremaines

Scott, I am glad to see I'm not the only one! Please ignore my concern about the distributor. I set the timing at 8* BTDC and then reved the engine to 2000+ RPM and watched the timing advance properly. I still, however, have the problem with the richness. I am getting black soot and moisture out the tailpipe. I've replaced every vacuum hose and believe I have them connected properly. The ported vac comes off the distributor, then teed to go to the carb and the CTO (where it is teed and goes to two of the CTO ports). From the CTO are leads to the EGR and Purge. It just seems that no matter what the IDLE mixture is set at, it will run rich. I am in agreement that it must be the jets (or possibly the float adjustment). I see two sets available for the 32/36 DGEV, namely 701-DGV4 and 701-DGV6. But, I'm not sure which one to get. Please keep me posted on how things go for you and I'll do the same.

Thanks ALL,
Jeremy
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2003, 06:38 PM
Addict

Will do. Books on the way and hope it will solve the jet question. You may want to try advancing the timing as much as you can - burn up that fuel and gain power. Any reason that you still have all that other "stuff" hooked up? After I did the modification I cleaned house! I have the ported vacuum from the carb running to the dist. The PCV connected to the carb bowl vent and teed to the purge canister. The rear crankcase vent line has been replaced by a plug-in breather filter. That's it. Everything else has been plugged. Last weekend I removed the ECM (which had been disconnected) and all of its wiring. Only had to cut one wire which fed the distributor. It looks CLEAN - and easy to see what goes where. Still have everything I removed from my stock CJ in storage boxes - so I could put it all back together. Food for thought.

Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode