transmission skidplate HELP! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2003, 10:29 PM
balanced

transmission skidplate HELP!

I was changing out my tranny mount tonight and all was going well. Then as I was starting the last (of the 4) bolts holding the skid plate to the frame, I found no nut in the frame rail. [img]images/graemlins/thud.gif[/img] I can only guess that by prying w/a screw driver earlier to start the bolts in the mount I must have busted the nut loose.
So my question is how is the best way to fix this. This is my daily driver so I will have to get this going quickly. I thought maybe drilling a hole in the side of the frame and then putting a nut on by hand. I also wondered about a 5/16 bolt with the wings that spread out after it goes in the hole. You know like when you hang a picture on a hollow wall. I would want to use a 5/16 bolt atleast though.
Well what do you think are either of these workable or are there other options? The jeep is a 84 cj-7
Thanks for the help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2003, 10:52 PM

Re: transmission skidplate HELP!

I was actually able to fit a small wrench in one of the fram holes and hold a nut, then I just tightened the bolt up best I could. There was a post about a good way to repair the frame nuts on here a while back, try doing a search for it......Also, if worst comes to worst you could put a small weld on it there, and if you ever need to drop the plate again, just grind the weld off.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2003, 11:08 PM
Keyboard Implanted

The easiest quick fix. Is to drop a bolt through the frame and put a nut on the bottom of the skid plate. This will get you going again until you can do a permanent fix. just use some stiff wire to fish the bolt down and then use an impact gun on the nut.

Later,
Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2003, 11:09 PM
balanced

Thanks for the info I will try a search for the frame nuts tomorrow. I don't mind the idea about welding but I would have to get it to work (about 5 miles) to do it.
As far as getting in the frame by a pre-existing hole I don't think there is one close enough.
Thanks, Gary
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2003, 11:13 PM
balanced

Thanks Tom!
I will look to see if there is an opening up top to try your idea, I like the sound of a quick fix. Do you think drilling a let's say a 3/4" hole in the side of the frame is a bad idea?
Gary
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2003, 05:21 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

If you've gotta drill that big, go for it. Most of the folks I know blast small holes in the side of the frame rail with a torch or plasma cutter then insert a nut, or if the hole is big enough, run a bolt down. Once you get it started, just hold it with a pry bar or screwdriver while you tighten it. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2003, 08:27 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Hey Gary,

I am sure you can fish a bolt through an existing hole. I usually use some stiff wire and run it up where I want the bolt to come down. I then keep feeding the wire until I reach a hole large enough for the bolt and washer to fit through. Then attach some fishing line to the wire and pull it back through. Attach the bolt and washer to the fishing line with electrical tape. I usually just wrap the threads in tape with the fishing line coming out at the tip of the bolt. Pull the line and the bolt will make its way to your hole. You may have to use a small screwdriver to stand the bolt up so that it will come straight down in your hole. I have used this technique several times on both of my Jeeps.

A permanent fix would involve welding. For this particular area I have used a piece of 1"x1/4" flat steel. I drill and tap a hole for the bolt size. I then cut the steel about 6"s long. Drill two 1/2" holes in the bottom of the frame about 2"s from the hole you need the threads in. Fish the steel plate into the frame. install a bolt into the threads and tighten it down. Make fillet welds in the two 1/2" holes. These will hold the 1/4" plate in place and conceal the repair. Grind/sand smooth and you will never be able to tell you did anything.

Later,
Tom
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2003, 08:36 AM

Here's another technique:

http://bbs.off-road.com/ubbthreads/s...;Number=797665
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode