CD Player Skipping in Tuffy Console - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2003, 07:37 PM
msquared

CD Player Skipping in Tuffy Console

I've just spent some 45 minutes going through the search looking for the 'ultimate' solution to this, but with not much success. Lots of people discussing cd players at regular mounting angles, basically saying to get a Panasonic/Alpine/Sony deck and I should be fine.

Currently I have a Nakamichi CD45z that I had in my Honda Prelude prior to getting the Jeep. Well it didn't really like getting bounced in the stiffened Honda, nevermind going over potholes while mounted the wrong way in the Jeep. I keep getting this 'E-DISC' error on it. Dagnabbit! Stupid potholly trail!

So to all of you with Tuffy stereo consoles, which deck (Brand, model number and approx month/year of purchase), along with how often you end up waiting for it catch up to your song again (when offroad) would be nice!

With the Jeep I'm obviously sacrificing my Audiophile ways a bit, so suggest any brands that you think can take the punishment.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2003, 07:52 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: CD Player Skipping in Tuffy Console

im running a sony cdx-680 in my tuffy.. works great... no skip at all.. even on the trails..
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2003, 08:19 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Not Panasonic, Alpine or Sony and not in a Tuffy...but HTH

Kenwood KRC-509s cass head unit and a KDC-C717 10 disk in the plastic Bestop console. Mounted upright.

Minor skipping over RR tracks above 35 MPH. Some pothole skipping. Can get around most of URE without skipping (but I'm a finesse wheeler).

I've also found that quality CD's make a difference. Ones that I've burned at home (I tend to buy a cd, then rip it to carry around in the Jeep...don't loose anything if it gets stolen) will skip more than store bought.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2003, 08:34 PM
msquared

Thanks guys. To make the order even tougher, does anyone run any MP3 capable decks in their Tuffy?

[img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2003, 08:45 PM
TNJeeper

When asking around before buying my head unit to put in a Tuffy console, Pioneer was the brand choice for use in bumpy, rough rides. I've got the Pioneer DEH-3400 in mine, and am very pleased with it. Never skipped on my '81 CJ7, and I'm running a 4" BDS lift (still very stiff) and 33" BFG muds.

Greg J.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2003, 01:14 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Sony explode CA-650-X AM/FM/CD in my CJ-7 with a tuffy console. The only time it skipped is when I dropped the lid shut on the console...once.
Trails...nothing,
roads...nothing,
railroad tracks and potholes...nothing.

I'd buy another one. It cranks out the tunes too. I've got Cerwin Vega 6.5"s in the rear in home made (and Herculined) boxes and Cerwin Vega 4" in the dash. Crystal clear with the top up or down on the freeway with Mud Terrains howlin' [img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2003, 09:42 AM
KenTheJeepGuy

not CD at all.

My suggestion to you all is not a cd player at all.
IF you want removable media, like a CD.. then the only way to go is with MiniDisc.
they are like THE thing in europe. acording to my friend who visited japan, he said EVERYONE had a MD player, and the entire month he was there the only CD player he saw was on a computer.
I have a few minidiscs, and let me tell you, you CANT skip them. you would have better luck getting a cassette tape to skip. they are exactly the same thing as a CD just smaller. hold the same as a cd at the same CD quality. I have a Pioneer MD head unit in my cherokee, and i have a portable MD recorder wlakman thingy too.
MD never caught on big here in the States, but for size and skip proofness, you cant beat them. Look around on Ebay or online. most stores dont sell car units anymore, but if you want great quality and 100% skip proof, MD is my suggestion.
(not to mention people think you are like the coolest when you eject this tiny lil plastic thing out of your dash, they are always like "wow what is that?? i thought that was a cd player")

Only drawback is that you have to record your own disks. and to do that you need a MD recorder. so you basically need to buy 2 units, one to record and one to play in your car. I highly suggest a portable MD recorder. they are also skip proof, and even smaller than the only cassette walkmans. great for jogging or mowing the lawn or whatever. I have a Sharp portable recorder, and it goes like 10 hours on 1 charge, and is just an amazing lil unit, no wonder all the japs like these things so much.

My next suggestion to you, and i am hoping to go this way after i get some cash.....
Just get some crappy old cassette player that has good sound, and just use a cassette adapter and buy yourself one of those digital MP3 players. Like the IPod from mac, or like one of the cheapy ones you can get at best buy or whatever. they play for a long time, and usually hold a ton of music, and also wont skip at all.
the catch with those is you need a computer to download all your music.
I am thinking about just making a mount for my laptop like the cops use these days, and just playing my music right off the laptop. but leaving a laptop in a jeep is like asking someone to bust in.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2003, 10:13 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: not CD at all.

Apline Units suck offroad--- pioneer has been the best for me.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2003, 10:15 AM

I was having this same conversation just yesterday with Jamgood96, he is having the same problems as you
are. I have a 10" Tuffy center console mounted in my `72 CJ5. It houses a Pioneer DEH 1000 SuperTuner III
that has yet to skip in the 4 yrs. it`s been in there. I`ve always been a fan of the Pioneer SuperTuner series.
You should see how the thing looks in my Jeep, scratched, covered with dust and crud inside and out. And I
couldn`t tell you how many times it`s been wet. It`s worked without fail. I think the the higher priced units
while nice, are too fragile for off-road use. And there`s no way I would spend $300+ on a stereo for that
purpose. If the one I have ever quits, I`ll buy another one.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2003, 10:55 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I make my passengers sing me a song.

No really the stock cd player in the TJ does a good job, and no one cares to steal it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode