4 cyl in '03 okay? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2003, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

4 cyl in \'03 okay?

Hey, this is coming from someone who has never owned a Jeep before. My wife and I were looking at the Wranglers for a mostly play vehicle. It might see a good trip every now and then but mostly used for recreation. I have heard nothing but good news about the 4.0l I-6 but what about the 4 cylinder engine? Is it okay or is it a dog?

We looked at the Rubicon's which I think is about time they made but I was still thinking of modifications. My wife would rather get a bone dry Jeep and build it from scratch than the Rubicon which might still get gutted.

Anyway, my main question is regarding the 4 cylinder engine.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2003, 03:55 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: 4 cyl in \'03 okay?

Go 6, the 4 is a good motor but just doesn't have the cojones to run anything bigger than about 32's on the hiway...for trail riding and rock crawling the 4 is ok. Most people who go with the 4 wish they had done the 6.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2003, 04:02 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

I say go with a 6cyl. I test drove a few 4cyl's when I was looking for my YJ. They seem to have some pep, but I know they don't have the grunt to get up and going. Especially if you do any highway driving.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2003, 06:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

For just a little more money, get the six. Go online and check dealer inventory for the color/options you want or special order.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2003, 07:11 PM
Veteran

Location: Milwaukee(which is algonquin for the good land)WI U.S.A

I have four angry squirrels under the hood of my 97' TJ look at my profile for my mods. Off-road I like it, it has enough low end to get over and through just about anything you can throw at it. On the highway downhill and with a 70m.p.h. tail wind it's not bad at all [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]. I can hold 55mph just about anywhere but in the mountains but there are some engine mods I've yet to do like an air tube and a T.B. from a 4.0L. It is a strong motor I have 68K on it now and no major mechanical issues yet. I bought the 4cyl. for financial reason had I had the money though I probably would have gone with the 4.0L, but have the 4cyl. makes wheelin' more fun...If you do get the 4 cyl. make sure you get the 5-speed manual in it.
John
[email protected]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2003, 01:22 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Go with the 4.0L, 6 cyl. If you are on a budget, and it sounds like you are, you will spend any money you save buy getting the 4 cyl on new gears due to the power loss created by bigger tires. A 4 cyl just cant keep up. A 6 cyl can usually drive tires up to 32" without new gears.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2003, 07:34 AM
davenjeip

Just bought me a new '03 last night. Go with the six. I test drove everything on their lot and the six is definately the way to go. I would suggest the 5 speed to go with it for the lower first gear but, I will admit, the AT was better than I expected.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2003, 10:13 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I think that it depends on how hard core you intend to get. The new 4 banger is a much more efficient engine then the older 4 banger that most of us have. It has a crossflow 4 valve per cylinder aluminum head and DOHC. This modern design is going to be around for a while and already has a number of factory performance upgrades that will be available (in one form or another). This is the same engine that is in the turbo charged SRT ..which I believe puts out somewhere in the mid 200 hp range (240???).

Upgrades to this engine should be mechanically simple (from an installation standpoint) and produce REAL numbers (cam changes, turbo, etc.). Not just a nickel or two here and there. This engine should also be quite comfortable in a higher rpm environment that lower gears would create.

This is a much more refined and sophisticated mill then either the 2.5 or the 4.0 can ever be. It has much more potential for streetable performance (as in factory/emissions certified).

The 4.0 has relative brute torque that is to it's credit ...but it can be very much like driving a 5 speed direct Maxidyne. You run out of 1st in a few feet and high revving seems to labor it (it will do it ...it's just not a free revving engine like a SBC or my 3.0 Mitsubishi for that matter) .

I'd like to see someone put some time into one of these new 4 bangers to see how it does. I've held off doing anything to my 02 SE since I'm debating on getting this newer mill. Then again a diesel is slated for the Liberty in 04 and that may migrate to the TJ if all goes well with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode