Holly Carb problems - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2003, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Holly Carb problems

OK, OK, I've done my research, and I know that Holley Carbs suck off road. But here's my situation. Money is definitly an issue. I have a holley on my 350 and it's on it's last leg. It sits atop an Edelbrock manifold with only the Holley bolt pattern. Is there any way to rebuild these things to perform off road. An adapter plate for a Q-jet (my other option) would not only increase the cost factor, but also somewhat defeat the purpose of a high flow manifold. What do you guys think? [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img] Holley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2003, 02:08 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Holly Carb problems

Yes, yu can make them preform ... better... off road. unfortunatly I gave up on mine beofre figuring out the answer. I traded a guy my Holley 4160 for an MC2100. he said he's run the holleys for years offroad. I'll see if I can get his email for you to ask him directly.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2003, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Thanx Brent,

I just got your email and I'll give him a try. Anyone else running one that WORKS?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2003, 06:19 PM

I don't know I never seen a Holley that worked good on or off road unless you worked on it all the time and then it was only for a short time. [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img]

The last Holley I had (was on my 68 Camaro when I bought it) I finally fixed it after weeks of messing with it by way of a S&W 357 mag. [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img] best look'n Holley I ever seen after words. [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Man I miss that car and the power of the 383 stroker it had [img]images/graemlins/crybaby.gif[/img] all because of some [img]images/graemlins/censor.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img] uninsured, stupid, couldn't drive [img]images/graemlins/censor.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img] still makes me mad thinking about it!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2003, 06:20 PM

I run a Holley and have experienced very little trouble once you get it setup right. The main problem is the float levels need to be adjusted so gas doesn't leak out of the vent tubes into the body on very steep incline/delines. Adjust the fuel level lower in both, but especially the primary(front) so when going up hill gas doesn't come out of the vent tube and drain into the body thus flooding the engine and stalling.

Adjust a little at a time and take it on a test run somewhere going up a hill on a freeway to make sure that at WOT for a period you don't starve the engine for fuel. Keep adjusting until just right. Also depending on the size of your vent tubes you can connect fuel line to each to raise the vent tubes up(make sure it doesn't hit your aircleaner) Good luck!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2003, 06:59 PM
Journeyman

Love those Holleys

I used to play a bunch with Holleys, then I got involved with Quadra-sluts and love them. Anyways... it's gonna take some money and tuning. Budd is right on - don't let the fuel dump into the throat of the carb.

The two add-ons that the offroader use are the vent bowl "whistles" and spring loaded needle and seats. Definitely fashion up a connection between the front and rear bowl tubes if you have room in your air cleaner. Drag racers do the same due to the fuel transfer upon launch. It rushes to the back of the bowl and will shoot straight out the vent. The cheezy brass baffle that comes stock is junk for offroading, in my opinion, since there are times when you will be nose up for an extended amount of time and that baffle is primarily for splash control.

I've run my Qjet pointed straight up and laying over on it's side - never misses a beat. Shameless plug.

If you have an offroad type magazine lying around, see if it has an ad for that Holley off road carb they now offer. That darn thing is a guide on what needs to be done to a Holley to get it to work offroad.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2003, 03:54 PM
JMZ
Journeyman

Re: Love those Holleys

I don`t see why a q-jet would defeat the purpose of a high-flow manifold. I love my g-jet. My maniflod has two sets of wholes . holley and q-jet. It is of a marine engine . It says PCM ( Pleasure Craft Marine ). I think it is an edelbrock performer dual plane . I got it with the vortec heads and the whole motor that slung 3 rods for $140. The Q-JET would have plenty CFM`s for your motor . [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2003, 06:01 PM
Journeyman

Two types of flanges on intakes

There are two types of flanges - spreadbore (Q-jets and similar) and squarebore (Holleys, Carters, and the like). He saying that in order to run the Q-jet, he'd have to run an adapter and he's right, if the intake he has is a Performer RPM or Performer RPM Airgap. The standard Performer is designed to run a spreadbore or squarebore. Usually there's a thin plate that comes with those type of intakes that goes between the carb and intake that gives a squarebore carb a flat surface to press against and create a good seal against the gasket.

That said - I've run a few adapters in the past. I'd highly recommend a four hole adapter, preferable phenolic plastic or wood. The open plenum adapters can mess with the vacuum signal to the carb on a divided plenum intake.

And as far a performance, a squarebore will typically outperform a spreadbore carb, as the primary bores are larger in the squarebore. If you really do some serious modifying to a spreadbore, you can make up for some of that. When I drag raced a mild big block street car, my times were quicker with the squarebore. The BB liked the additional air and fuel.

Here's my take on the cost. Either buy all the bells and whistls for the Holley, or the adapter and use the Q-jet. But the hidden costs are what will also need to be changed and/or modified to hook up the Q-jet. Take into consideration that the choke could be different and the fuel line hookup is different as well. Vacuum lines are very cheap, should longer ones be needed. Also, if the Q-jet needs a rebuild, there's the expense of a kit. To go inside the Holley a fuel bowl gasket set may be needed if the old gasket tears. And in the end... the Holley may be the cheaper fix, but it won't be as great offroad as the Q-jet.

Anyone still awake after all that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode