Anyone have PPG code for dark brown OD? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-27-2003, 09:27 AM
brendan

Anyone have PPG code for dark brown OD?

I can't seem to pick a taupe/tan color for the J10, so i'm going with the post-korean war dark brown olive drab. I don't care to have exact orignal paint, as this is not a military vehicle. I was hoping to find an equivalent color code from one of the big paint producers on the internet, PPG,dupont etc. but can't find one. Anyone tried to do this before?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-27-2003, 10:05 AM

Re: Anyone have PPG code for dark brown OD?

I'm looking for some OD too for my Jeep when it is done. I found the right color in spray cans at my local surplus store but a $3.95 a can it is way to spendy for me plus it is not really surplus it's made by BLP Mobile Paints, Mobile Paint Mfg in Theodore, Alabama stock # 123-49(rattle can). I have not contacted them to see about getting gallons yet.

I check about every paint store near me and none of them seem to want to help they just say they can't get or mix that color and look at me like I'm crazy. I even got some sportsman's camo-paint in OD but it's way to light green for what I want. Then one time while I was in NAPA I happen to ask about it and they did have a listing in their book for it and the sample looked right but I havn't had any mixed yet to see for sure, so you may want to check them out.

After days of searching online here is a web page I found that has the standards and lots of other info like camo patterns, etc. that may help you out.

Let me know how you come out and where you get it in all this because like I said I'm wanting to do the same. Who would think it would be so hard to find the stuff?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-27-2003, 10:25 AM
Way Outta Control

1. Try:[*]PPG 44978[*]Dupont 43278
2. You may want to check out: Camoflauge Paint Data
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-27-2003, 10:56 AM
brendan

Thanks, Leve. I didn't actually expect any responses on this one. Are those codes the dark brown OD?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-27-2003, 11:00 AM
brendan

in2mud, I was actually looking at that site last night. I'm not going for a camo pattern, though. I did find gillespie(sp?) coatings that carries the color I want, but don't want to pay $60/gallon for shipping and hazmat charge.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-27-2003, 11:13 AM
brendan

Here is a picture of the color you posted, LEVE, on an MG. I realize that colors can't be trusted on the computer, but this isn't what I'm after. The color is like halfway between this MG and Chocolate brown.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1156034-tundra_greenMGB.jpg (6.3 KB, 23 views)
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-27-2003, 11:33 AM
Way Outta Control

1. Yep, that's what I was afraid of... too darn green.
2. I guess I'm wondering which Federal Spec. would be closer:[*] Lusterless Olive Drab Fed. Spec. #33070[*] Fed. Spec. #30097, Dark brown[*] Dark Chestnut Fed. Spec #31090, [*] #33105, next to olive drab appears brown[*] Gray Beige Fed. Spec. #33303, Pail green gray color[*] Flat Green Fed. Spec. #34082, Slightly greener than olive drab[*] Olive Drab Flat Fed. Spec. #34083, very much like Lusterless Olive Drab[*] Flat Green Fed. Spec. #34089, Medium green color
3. Take the Specs to NAPA... see what they can mix!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-27-2003, 03:43 PM
brendan

LEVE, the color I am after is the one on the far right in the attachment. Do you think that an auto parts store can cross reference the government spec numbers you have listed? Maybe #33105 is waht I am looking for?

I suppose the answer is to just buy a rattle can of the color I want, and have NAPA use the color scanner rig they have.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1156206-OD paint swatch.jpg (48.1 KB, 19 views)
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-27-2003, 04:45 PM

If I remember right NAPA had all the mil spec colors in the book including samples of them all.

The only problem with color matching that dark of color is it usually doesn't come out right from my experience anyway.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-27-2003, 05:48 PM
Way Outta Control

1. The paint code is 24087,
2. It was used in the 50's for Military Cammo.
3. The code's as follows:[*] The first place gives on the gloss degrees to the color
(1 = Gloss, 2 = Semi Gloss, 3 = Lusterless/dull). [*] The second place classifies the predominant colour
(0 = brown, 1 = red, 2 = orange, 3 = yellow, 4 = green, 5 = blue, 6 = grey, 7 = different inclusive. Black, white and Metallic, 8 = luminous paints). [*] 3. - 5. Place combines color differences within a color's group of dark after bright.

X34087

4. As you can see 24087 is almost black in some pictures!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode