77 Scout II Axle ID - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-26-2003, 03:11 AM Thread Starter

77 Scout II Axle ID

I found a scout II for sale and wanted to snag it for the axles.. 44's? I have searched the archives and poked all over the net for info, but I am still confused as to what the axles are. I looked under the scout and was pretty sure the front end was a 44, but it has drum brakes. General consensus i find on the web is that if it drum brakes it is a 30, but also, if it is 75 or later it is a 44, whose right, both, neither???
How about the rear? It should be a 44 right? Was there another axle used? (I found the link to the IH axle id page in the archives, but then other pages all seem to contradict each other. Any sure fire way to tell what the axles are? I can't get the very rear of the scout to look at the cover, but looking from the front (pinion side) the center section looks somewhat round (all I am used to seeing is my broken dana 30 and somewhat better built amc 20.... so I don't have the nack to look at an axle (especially scout that I am unframiliar with) and tell if its a 44 or not.)
I do know whats involved in the swap too as far as zero caster, steering issues, spring plates and such, just need to figure if there 44's or not so I can kill a scout to build a jeep [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-26-2003, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

Re: 77 Scout II Axle ID

good news, I brought a drop light and a wire brush back with me, and the guy pulled the scout of of the garage for me to look at it, it does have 44's. Since I was able to actually get under the thing this time, I got a better look at the brakes, it does have disks up front. (Couldn't get my hand to the brakes the way it was buried last time, and they looked like drums in the dark from a ways away.) Does anybody have the page handy where you type in the bill of material number and see what your axle has (like ratio, traction control....) I know its easy to figure on my own too, but it would be kinda neat to type it in too, I probably can't the scout to my house for a week or two.

thanks
Casey Vandor
http://www.kpunet.net/~irjpr
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-27-2003, 12:18 AM

If the Scout has an auto trans, The gears are going to be 3.07`s. If it`s manual, most likely 3.73`s.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-27-2003, 12:34 AM Thread Starter

yea, I kinda figured on the gears being crap, but my buddy wants some high gears for his project (wants a good 2 high ratio, but then have a crawl box for some low range fun, so he can have the gears and I will buy some new ones....)

Anybody that has pics of a scout II swap, especiall outboard spring hanger ideas and steering setups, I would be interested if you could email them to me or point me to your webiste or something.

Thanks
Casey Vandor
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-27-2003, 07:43 AM

plan an dcuting the steering knuckles loose from the axlehousiong and turning them to a new degree so you can get caster close, as stock it has 0*,
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-27-2003, 11:00 AM Thread Starter

yea, I know about cutting em and fabbing up new outboard mounts and such, I was just interested in seeing if some of you guys that have done this swap have any pics of it. (like steering setups, or mounts and such) Just makes the swap go a little easier when you have a similar to look at.

Thanks
Casey Vandor
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-27-2003, 11:57 AM

99% of the mid 70 scouts that I have seen have 3:54's in them. (I have 2 sets in the garage now) Some do have lower or higher but they are rare.(but I have only seen/sold maybe 60/70 sets of them [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img])
When you get them home get us the tag #'s off the cover or count teeth and we can tell you for sure what you have.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-27-2003, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

will do, just have sneak the boom truck and lowboy from work, so by end of next week or so I will have em home.

Thanks
Casey Vandor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode