New offroad park grand opening midwest - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2003, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

New offroad park grand opening midwest

here the email they sent me:
Hi All, Rockport Off-Road Park's official opening date is Saturday August 9th. Our schedule is a little different the first couple of weeks. Here are the days that we will be open: Sat.August 9th,Sun August 10th,Wed. August 13th,Thurs August 14th,Friday August 15th,Sat August 16th,Sun August 17th and Mon August 18th. After this schedule, we will assume our regularly scheduled days of operations which are Friday-Monday. There are lots of things in the works (Keep your eyes and ears open for the mention of an awesome Rockcrawl challenge in September!) Let all of your Atv,Dirtbike and SUV friends know of this new place to ride in beautiful Pike County, Illinois and stay tuned to www.rockportoffroadpark.com for future information. Hope to see you on the trails soon!

just spreading the love for the 4x4 community
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2003, 10:21 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Re: New offroad park grand opening midwest

I won't be there the weekend it opens, but I'm sure I'll be there a bunch since its pretty close to my school. Yay for that. Greg, if you or anyone else here plans on going sometime after the 15th let me know and I'll certainly try and join you. I'm so glad there is finally a place closer to my school.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-26-2003, 01:24 AM
Keyboard Implanted

How come everyplace to go wheelin' is 5 hours from my house!!!??? [img]images/graemlins/crybaby.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-26-2003, 09:33 AM

Dont feel to bad its at least 8 to 10 for me [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img] Well except for the Superlift ORV in Hot Springs AR
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-26-2003, 02:10 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

OK, there is almost nothing on the website about the kind of terrain even when I suffered through the stupid animation and really poor grammar. It says there are 400 acres but how much of it is navigable? How much is open? Is it clearly marked where the boundaries are? For $20, do they feed me dinner?

Not that it matters to me since my standard cab longbox truck is 131.5" axle centerline to axle centerline. Not even a shortbox truck can go in because they are 117". At least the K5s (106.5") can get in and send the Jeeps home screaming rape. They won't even let my sandrail in.

Oh well, maybe they charge an $80 recovery fee or something if you get stuck. I suppose they'd make a lot more money on a Pathfinder getting dragged around by a tractor than a fullsize truck meandering around.

I'm sorry, but that's freaking lame not to let people in because of wheelbase.

I'm not going to go that far to ride my quad since there are so many legal trails in Michigan, that's for sure. So, I take it this is a park?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-26-2003, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

doesnt the badlands also have a hweel base restriction ?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-26-2003, 02:50 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Only on certain trails to my knowledge. The same trails usually require lockers and a winch too.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-27-2003, 08:30 PM

Hey all, I want to say first of all thank-you to jeepngreg and others like him that are sincerley trying to keep the privalege of off-roading alive.I sent a request some time ago to him about putting our park on his website. He said he would but said it would get a lot more exposure if he put it on off-road.com. He has since posted the opening date of our park. Thanks, you are doing your part to make sure that me and you, my kids and yours have a right to recreate in this wonderful country. If I knew how; and I'll search, I will make sure that you got recognized for your efforts.Great job!
And then, I read on and I noticed such disrespect and unappreciation for his efforts and others efforts from those who just sit around and wait for something to happen or for a trail to open up.(By the way wrath, this is the shortwheelbased forum)
Listen up and then judge: My husband started a jeep club 11 years ago with 6 members in Pike County Illinois. As all of you know, there is no place to ride in Illinois.Our club(Two Rivers Jeep Club) now has a capped membership and 20plus private land owners that allow the club to ride on their farms for nothing in return expect the knowledge that their community and the off-road community benefits.Last year Two Rivers Jeep Club gave over $20,000 to charities and organizations in the area.And has always operated on that purpose.
My husband and I have listened and been aware of the struggle to continue this privalege to the rest of the area,country,etc...And after 1 1/2 years of being out on the trails every spare moment building this park with him running a business and me working two jobs and a $750,000 investment to Rockport Off-Road Park we are finally able to offer a place for we hope many to enjoy. It's nothing that we'll get rich over. Over 230 people have to come through the gate every month just to pay insurance.
And so, as you can see this is an extremely personal issue. And after coming in my house at night after I have been cutting down trees and hauling them off all day I get a sense of satisfaction that my kids and their friends and others who love this beautiful country will be able to enjoy it and I'll get to smile when a young man or woman comes to me and says thanks, I finally have a place to ride.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-27-2003, 09:01 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Word travels fast on the forums. I periodically read the short wheelbase forum because I happen to enjoy Jeeps. I also once in a while read the 'yota forum, the ATV forum, and always read the General forum.

It's cool that you're opening up a park. It's not cool that you're not letting everyone in.

It's cool that you've got a website and you're advertising. It's not cool that your website doesn't include what kind of terrain, how many miles are open, if their are any unidirectional areas, how it is marked, or anything.

I'm sure you'd get a lot more than 230 vehicles going through the gates in even the winter months if you let something besides dirtbikes/ATVs and Jeeps in.

I'm not telling you how to run your facility, I'm just saying there are a lot more people out there with 4x4 vehicles longer than 115" than not.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2003, 05:52 PM
Can't Get Enough

Hey skooly, have you had a chance to make it to the Superlift ORV park yet?? Its well worth the trip. Im about five hours away and am planning on going again as soon as it starts to cool down a little around here. I have fixed and upgraded everything I broke last time and Im ready to do it again.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode