O/T - Messenger pop-ups!!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2003, 12:29 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

O/T - Messenger pop-ups!!!

I'm getting QUITE pissed off lately. Each night, when I come to my computer to check my e-mail, I have to click through about 5-7 pop-ups on my screen just to even open up IE. What's the deal. They're all pretty much pointing me to endads.com now. I e-mailed them, but doubt I'll hear back. Any idea how to stop this without the use of software? I don't need more software on my puter. It's already overloaded. Is anyone else having a similar problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2003, 12:41 AM
Way Outta Control

Re: O/T - Messenger pop-ups!!!

1. Jammie, I'm with you on this one.
2. I HATE pop-ups.
3. May I suggest downloading PanicWare's Pop Up Stopper.
4. It's Free,
5. And it's worked for me for a couple of years now...
6. It's taken care of about 98% of the pop-ups.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2003, 12:45 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

Just to clarify, these are not pop-ups occuring from websites. These are windows that open up in the middle of the screen, even when I just have the desktop opened. They have a close button at the bottom. They're kind of like the windows that pop-up when you save something in Word. Not sure if that makes any sense at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2003, 12:55 AM
Way Outta Control

1. I think I understand...
2. I was just talking to a friend the other day about them...
3. She got five pop ups telling her,
4. That the computer was in an unsafe state and suggesting a website to go,
5. To to get a 'fix.'
6. Varied sites were:[*] www.blockmesssage.com[*] www.killmessage.com[*] www.messagebuster.com[*] www.endads.com[*] www.stopmessenger.com
7. Does any of this sound familiar?
8. They spam you,
9. Load the pop-up,
10. Activate it,
11. And you have to go to thier web-site to
12. Kill it...
13. Now that's an evil programmer!
14. There are ways to turn them off, here's how in XP...
[*] Click Start button on your Windows taskbar. [*] Click Run... [*] Enter "Services.msc" (without quotation marks) and click OK. [*] Browse the list till you find "Messenger" in Name column. [*] Double click it. The Messenger Properties (Local Computer) dialog box comes out. [*] Choose "Disable" in "Startup type" drop down box. [*] Click OK
[*] Reboot[/b]

15. Here's how in Win95, Win98 and WinME:
[*] Under Control Panel, select Add/Remove. [*] Select Windows Setup [*] Select System Tools [*] Click Details [*] Uncheck WinPopUp[*] Click OK [*] Reboot
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2003, 01:38 AM

Sounds like you may have some spy-ware on your PC.
Download Lavasoft's Ad-aware 6.0 and run it. It will find and eliminate any spyware on your machine.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2003, 02:03 AM

yes they are very anoying!!!
LEVE's method is good (killing messenger service), however 'messing around' with your box's services in general can have adverse affects if you don't know what you are doing.
Most of those pop-up windows are browser windows that are sized differently and made to appear like a windows (OS) display message (in other words to trick user). Most of the 'buttons' on those windows are not buttons at all - again made to trick the user -for example: if you click them they will take you to some website (in most cases) and not 'close' the window as 'button' name says. usually if you click anywhere on the window it will take you to some website. you can see that by dragging mouse over the window - it will have appearance as if you put mouse over the link (cursor is hand and not arrow) - hence if you click it it will take you (link you )to website. So, even if the 'button' says 'close' I don't click on that. what I do is close it from task bar (task bar is that 'gray bar at the bottom of your window, in line with 'start' button). most of those pop-ups will show there (as any browser window or application window) - so go where it is on task bar, right click over it and select 'close' - that will kill it. Another method is to do alt+ctrl+delete and select 'Task Manager' -click on 'Applications' tab, find pop-up window name there, click it and then click 'End Task'
Also, as preventive measure (but not only one) I disable automatic refresh of stored pages for my web browser. It also saves bandwidth because it does not try to retrieve page when I don't want it (or not aware of) and also because these pop-ups are usually set up to display when you visit some web page - so if your browser tries to automatically refresh another pop up might come up since you visited page again. If you want to disable that, at least for Internet Explorer, go to IE icon on your desktop, right click on it, select properties, click General tab, and in section where it says 'Temp Internet Files' click on 'Settings' button. New window will show and under "Check for newer versions of stored pages' click "Every visit to the page" (don't check "Never" because your system will then try to display page from local machine (your box) and not the internet - assuming you already visited that page)

well this turned out to be long, but I hope it helps
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2003, 02:11 AM

like Dan 84 pointed out
Ad Aware is good, and I also like SpyBot . I use them both for clean up and maintenance
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2003, 02:38 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

I guarantee you that these are not browser windows that appear to be OS windows. When I click close, they close. But lately, there have been 5-7 or so of these windows, so I have to click close for each one. It's pissing me off something feirce. I have ad-aware 5, and will try d/ling ad-aware 6 next. As for disabling MSN messenger, I don't believe XP likes that. Actually, I think it's IE that doesn't like you closing MSN messenger. Gotta love these stupid buttheaded computer companies. Stupid Bill Gates. They outta take him out back and shoot him, then spread his wealth throughout the world. That'll take care of world hungry and poverty for a few years with his 100 billion or whatever he owns. I HATE COMPUTERS!!!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2003, 07:06 AM

Jammie, are you on dialup or broadband? If you're on broadband you need better protection in your firewall. There are ports open (I don't remember which ones, I can check later) that are allowing these messages through. Unless you are running a web/e-mail server, or play online games, you should have ALL incoming ports blocked.

You can stop the messenger service on XP without ill effects. Just go into the Services MMC snap-in, select the messenger service, then right click for properties. Change startup type to manual, then click the stop button to stop the service.

There is a way to disable the msmsgs.exe program from running at all, even in the background. Try a Google search for "XP disable msmsgs.exe".
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2003, 08:22 AM
Can't Get Enough

Browser pop-ups are blocked about 75% with pop-up blocker. Don't know the link but you can search for it.
As mentioned, SpyBot is good at finding spyware and removing that as well. Between those two you ought to get rid of a heck of a lot of your problem.
If you use Kazaa, they install a lot of ad server crap with their program and some of it is VERY tough to get rid of and reinstalls when you connect the next time even if you do manage to get rid of it. As for Kazaa, NEVER NEVER NEVER auto run it at startup as it will open a port to the world and there are a lot of bad people out there that get off screwing up peoples machines just to prove they can. Also, if you continue to use Kazaa, or similar as well I assume, always make sure to close it's icon from your task bar when you exit. Even after you close the program it will run resident unless you do this by right clicking it's icon by your clock and picking close.
You can also go to your start menu, choose run, and enter "msconfig". Pick the "startup" tab at the top. This gives you a list of everthing that runs when you boot your pc with a checkbox beside it. You can then uncheck the programs you don't want to run. If your not sure what it is, uncheck it. If something you need stops working, go back and re-check it. You'll be amazed at all the garbage that you'll find in there, especially if you've had the system for a while. This might even help your pc's performance by freeing up some resources being used by stuff you don't even want or need. Oh, after you manually make a change this way, when you reboot for the first time you'll get a windows message saying that you've changed something and it's wanting it set back the way it was. Tell it to leave you alone and check the "don't tell me again" button.
Sorry this ran on, but I know computers better than Jeeps at this point, so I wanted to try to contribute SOMETHING to this forum.
Good Luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode