help me with my 304!!!!!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-24-2003, 05:52 PM
mangu43

help me with my 304!!!!!!

Hello all, I am trying to get my 77 CJ-7 running and up on the road. It has the 304, and I installed a carb that I rebuilt out of an 83 waggy. It has a few extra vacuum lines coming out of it, and was wondering if anyone knew the least amout of hoses that I would need for good performance. There is no emissions law in Vermont. The bare minimum would be great!
Secondly, I thought that I was ready for a road test, but took it out in my neighborhood, only to have it stall when any load whatsoever was placed on the engine. This seems odd to me, because it fires up well, idles well, and revs to approximately 3000 rpm without hesitation, but only when it is neutral. If a load is placed on it, (like the huge stress of driving on flat pavement) it bucks, backfires, and slows to a near stopped engine speed, however, if I depress the clutch, the engine recovers, and is fine like nothing happened. I have replaced the coil, sparks, wires, rotor, cap, and have upgraded the prestolite bid system to a motorcraft ignition system using the distributor, and icm out of a waggy. The icm tested fine at the parts store. Any suggestions, encouragement? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-24-2003, 10:07 PM
balanced

Re: help me with my 304!!!!!!

Well
I don't claim to know alot about carbs - but I think I would check the fuel filter if I were you. Let us know how it works out [img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-24-2003, 10:38 PM

I agree with Balanced about the fuel filter. The problem you describe sounds like a fuel delivery issue. I would also check the fuel pump pressure and flow rate. If the carb is out of a mid 80s Waggy, you probably have the Motorcraft 2100. The only two lines that come to mind right now are the PCV and the one on the side of the carb for the distributor advance. I would consider that to be the bare minimum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2003, 03:28 AM
mangu43

thanks, i'll check that tomorrow.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2003, 04:20 PM
mangu43

fixed it! I replaced the fuel pump already, but must have installed it improperly or got a bum one. But anyway, put in a new pump, and it runs like a champ, except for a knock on the first cylinder of the drivers' bank. Hopefully, a little timing will fix that. Thanks guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode