Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Jeep-Short Wheelbase (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/)
-   -   u joints are the worst (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/172183-u-joints-worst.html)

**DONOTDELETE** 07-24-2003 03:55 PM

u joints are the worst

man i took my front axle out yesterday, dana 35, and the u joint hadnt been replaced since the car was built in 87. What a pain in the a$$!! I ended up using a die grinder and just zipping off the ends and then banging the crap out of the caps to get them out. i have to do the other side, anyone know an easier way?

lomodyj 07-24-2003 04:04 PM

Re: u joints are the worst

Get a Jeep! They are easier to work on than cars... [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

And what car had a D35 in the front?

barfnick 07-24-2003 04:05 PM

Harbor Freight sells a large C-clamp for just that purpose. I have heard it works great

mbalbritton 07-24-2003 04:09 PM

PB Blaster is great stuff man... get to know it well....

shad0wrider 07-24-2003 04:28 PM

I use a vise to change mine. Place the u-joint in the vise, with a small socket which will fit through the eye of the u-joint on one side, against the cap. On the other side place a large socket that the other cap will fit into when it gets pushed out as you tighten the vise. Use a breaker bar on the vise handle if you have to. Same principle when pushing the new caps in. I bought my vise years ago just for this purpose. Good luck.

LEVE 07-24-2003 04:44 PM

1. Buy yourself an inexpensive ($40) ball-joint tool.
2. They work great for U-Joints.

Grapehead 07-24-2003 04:45 PM

trade it in for birfields! [img]images/graemlins/deal.gif[/img]

babypoo 07-24-2003 07:20 PM

You can also use the same concept as shadOwridr mentioned but in the manner of fixing it on the trail (good habit to get into) one socket to push through the eye, one to catch on the other side and swingin a BFH sittin on the ground. Alot of guys, some of them on this board have done this so often sitting on the trailside they can probably do a switch in less than 15 minutes and that's blind folded, both hands tied behind their back and hanging from their ankles. U-joints are a common trail break I'd suggest if you are wheeling get real good at replacing them.
John
[email protected]

unhumen 07-25-2003 01:17 AM

Experience is the best teacher , next time it will be easier