Ford 9" or Dana 44 fr my CJ7?...... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-24-2003, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

Ford 9\" or Dana 44 fr my CJ7?......

I am going to get "new" axles for my 82 widetrack CJ7. I've got 33's but MAY in the future go to 35's, no bigger.

I run 50% street, 40% sand dunes, and 10% heavy duty trails, and rockcrawling (when I get out west every few years). I will get F+R ARB in whatever I get with 4.10 gears.

Which should I choose? Rear will be high pinion, front standard. I will use current front outers including knuckle and warn hub upgrade.

Currie says 9" better, Dynatrac says D44 is better. What are pros and cons of each? Any reason for me NOT to use my current outers (in very good condition).

I am leaning toward 9" because of drp out 3rd member, extra pinion bearing, and little stronger overall.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-24-2003, 06:57 PM
Old Hand

Re: Ford 9\" or Dana 44 fr my CJ7?......

I assume you are talking in the front based on wanting to keep the outers that are in good shape.

Are you comparing a High Pinion Currie to a High Pinion Dana 44? In the front a High Pinion (or reverse rotation) is stronger. So, if you are comparing Currie’s High Pinion Ford 9” to a regular rotation Dana 44, the 9” will be better for clearance and strength.

The Currie High Pinion 9” actually runs 8.8” reverse rotation gears that don’t have the 3rd pinion bearing like regular Ford 9” axles have. The third member is made out of nodular cast iron which is usually only in the perfermance 9” rear ends. The convenience of a 3rd member is nice for setting up gears etc.

If the price is comparable, I like the Currie unit better. Slightly larger R&P, nodular 3rd member, CNC machined, good clearance, etc.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2003, 08:20 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input. I think I'll go with both 9" unless I hear a good reason to consider a D44 instead.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2003, 09:27 AM
NnF

[img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]

Get a Dana 60s for teh rear and a high pinion 44 for the front.

If you take a Dana 60 from the front of an F350 you can build a Rear high pinion for your Jeep.

If you do rock crawling then a detroit locked rear is the way to go.

LOL,
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2003, 11:11 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Which should I choose? Rear will be high pinion, front standard. I will use current front outers including knuckle and warn hub upgrade.
well.. you'll be making both of the axles weaker with this plan.. a high pinion axle is STRONGER in the front than a standard axle and weaker in the real.. in fact, i have doubts that a high pinion 44 or 9" in the rear will hold up. I broke my rear high pinion 60 gears last year.
the debate over which is stronger d-44 or 9" is age old and the bottom line.. I've seen plenty of both break.
I have dynatrac axles and they are quality parts with good customer service, but I would never purchase them or currie axles... to much $$$ just for a name in both cases.
A hihgh pinion d-44 front will do everything your asking and you should be able to find a sjhop to build one for half the cost of either of the aforementioned companies.
and ARB's are the right choise for you as well.. whatever detroit does, arb does better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode