Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Jeep-Short Wheelbase (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/)
-   -   SOA issues :( (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/172142-soa-issues.html)

Infernozx 07-24-2003 02:14 AM

SOA issues :(

Damnit I knew I should have been paying attention when Jammy did his SOA years back.. but nooooo that was way too advanced stuff for me.

Anyways.

I SOA'd the rear due to some spring issues..

It's done, and it looks good. (Jeep is almost back to level.)

But, I have noticed some driveline issues.

Question #1. CV shaft? Can this go on with my hard driveshaft (sickoes) and slipyolk in the Tcase?
Or do I need an SYE.. the angle is only a tinsy winsy bit too much and I'm trying to save for UNI this summer.

Question two.

Can I just drop the skidplate an inch or less, and point my Tcase down, as well as lower it? I know I know.. the engine and tranny will tilt too... but they won't move that far.. I mean, and inch at the output.. is like 1/4" at the bellhousing.. and almost nothing at the motor mounts..

Is this possible? and option?

Also, why did Chrysler put my shcok mounts UNDER the axle.
Makes no sence to me. :-/

Anyways. Thanks for any and all help.

Inferno

jamgood96 07-24-2003 04:01 AM

Re: SOA issues :(

To my knowledge, you need to install a SYE and then run a CV shaft. If you do this, you will need to either shim the rearend, or reweld the perches. As for dropping the skid, this is a very common solution. One inch shouldn't hurt anything. Just make sure that the fan isn't going to eat the shroud or radiator, and that all the hoses/linkages/or anything else won't bind up or get pulled too far. That one inch might be enough to help your driveline angle. But remember, when running a stock driveshaft, the pinion and tcase yokes are suppose to be parralel to each other, so it might be counter productive, but I'd do it. If you got any questions, let me know. I'll help however I can. And why did Chrylser put your shock mounts under the axle? I really don't know. Why on earth did they make Jeeps out of Torx?!?! [img]images/graemlins/chair.gif[/img]

wrath 07-26-2003 02:42 PM

You can run a CV shaft with a slipyoke if you have a slipyoke that isn't sloppy and has lots of spline length. Jesse at HighAngle makes 'em. CV isn't cheap.

When you switch to CV you have to make sure that the driveshaft is in parallel with the pinion or else you'll have vibration. I'd see about getting the pinion in line with the crankshaft because CV shafts aren't cheap. Common practice on SWB SFA Chevy vehicles is to drop the transfercase an inch.

As far as making the shockmounts hang below the axle, it's usually so they can run a longer body shock.

ryankopecki 07-26-2003 05:15 PM

Yep, drop the case an inch and set the pinion angle correct to match it.

I've got a 15 degree u-joint angle with 8" of lift, and no dropped case, and no cv. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Also got a cheap cv in my stock pile for when I need 39.5s. A 1350 I think from a F-350 for $20.

Infernozx 07-26-2003 06:19 PM

Thanks guys.. I'm gona try and drop thecase tonight..

I have another question. It's about shock length.

How do I mesure for shock lengths? Cause the old ones aren't long enough, and Rancho only has 2,1/2" lift listed for shocks..

ryankopecki 07-27-2003 01:01 PM

I just flex it and take the measurements. Then go here to get your part number. If you want 5000s replace the 9 with a 5.