Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Jeep-Short Wheelbase (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/)
-   -   Saftey on vs. off-road (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/172113-saftey-vs-off-road.html)

**DONOTDELETE** 07-23-2003 08:51 PM

Saftey on vs. off-road

Now I know that inorder to be safe off-road certain modification are needed, i.e. lifted suspension, larger tire, axles, lockers, ect... but when you intend on using your jeep as a daily driver as well as an off-road rock-crawling beast are the modifications still safe? Is a lifted Jeep with 35'' tires an ok thing to drive around on the street with? Is this hoping for death or even safer than stock?

Thanks in advance for all your input. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Rio_Grande 07-23-2003 08:58 PM

Re: Saftey on vs. off-road

Can't coment on the 35" tires, But you do not have to go hog wild. I have 32" tires with a 3" lift, go about everywhere I want and have no real problems on or offroad. I think mine is safe

jeepgod 07-23-2003 09:13 PM

ive ran 35" tires for years.. felt safe.. and everything has handled nicely.. some better than stock.. some alittle worse.. heck i took it on several 12+ hour road trips..

304CJ7 07-23-2003 09:14 PM

Basically the bigger it is the worse it is on road. Bigger tires and lifts make you more likley to roll the vehicle and some lockers will make driving...well...a challenge. There is a point where it is too much for daily driving. But that point is the drivers opinion.

greencj7 07-23-2003 09:18 PM

Modifications aren't needed to make a vehicle "safer" off-road. The mods you talk about, the lift, lockers and bigger tires, enhance off-road performance. The mods that enhance safety off road like a full roll cage tied into the frame, will make the vehicle safer on road as well. A tall lift and big tires can change the stability of a Jeep, but that stability is affected both on and off road. A Jeep is not a Camaro, it isn't going to corner like one on road. If the lift and tires are done right, it will be as safe as when it was stock. That is if the driver uses his head, because some things, like braking, are going to take longer unless those things are addressed as well.

Ken Linzmeyer

LEVE 07-23-2003 09:34 PM

1. Welcome to the forum.
2. Please complete your user profile:[*] It's a nice thing to do.[*] It's helps to know who we're talkin' to.[*] It helps to know what's your ride.[*]It helps to know the local in which you live.
http://tellico.off-road.com/wwwthrea...590-newbie.jpg
3. Read the New Posters Message at the top of the forum.
4. Participate! Two brains are better'n one.
5. Off Road and On Road driving share the same thing.
6. It's 90% driver and
7. 10% Vehicle.
8. Safety is determined by usage and planning.
10. Fail to understand one and and the other's useless.

jeepgod 07-23-2003 09:38 PM

i beg to differ.. this jeep.. is by far the best on road handling jeep i have owned.. the last.. had a aftermarket lift kit and 33" tires.. this one is homemade and 35" tires.. was waaay better..
its all in your craftsmanship.. dont skimp on steering.. or other vital parts.. do it right.. and it will handle just fine..
and like said.. its not a sports car.. but treat it with respect.. and you'll be fine..

elusive 07-23-2003 10:05 PM

lets see... I have 10" of lift and 37 or 38" tires on my daily driver.
last year I drove it to washington DC (5.5 hours each way) and to Uwharrie (5 hours each way).
I have a huge lift...true... but I also run axles that are 65" wide
my steering components are chromoly links attached to ford f-450 knuckles with 3/4 ton chevy brakes (disk) front and rear. my master cylinder is from a 1 ton chevy and every line in the jeep is braided stainless. my jeep maneuvers better than many stock vehivles, and it stops better than stock.
my lockers are ARB's front and rear.. they are just plain open unless engauged...
I also have a serious roll cage....
safer than stock???
because its lifted, I drive slower and I am more catious..even though the jeep drives very well.
It's a non-issue...I'm sure the politicians will disagree eventually and we will not be able to modify our vehicles someday... but untill then.. look for my swampers going by at 70mph on the highway.

unhumen 07-24-2003 12:19 PM

I think they should make people pass an IQ test before selling them tools ...Like...

How many fingers do you have left ?

How many gallons of oil need to run down your arm before you figure out a better way to do it ?

how many different angels do your arms need to bend to get at that bolt on the back of the engine by the firewall?

can you use a 7/16 th bolt if the factory spec's call for 5/8 th ? Its close ?

If your bearing is making noise from lack of grease it is ok to just pack a handfull of grease in there around it,so when the bearing gets red hot the grease will run in?

It is ok to push any old bolt into a hole after you have stripped out every last thread in there, especially if it is for seats and seat belts, or motor mounts? TIP: Duct tape works really well for a filler here.

3 Qts of oil should last till your next 10,000 mile oil change?
How many spray cans of WD 40 could be used to replace the 3 qts?
It is OK to spray it down the dip tick tube, if your filler cap is duct taped on to prevent leaking?

Oil filters are a waste of money, punch a hole in a soupe can and suck out the contents with a straw, then thread it on where the flter should have gone and seal it up with duct tape?

Duct tape is the only tool you will ever really need?
the rest are just gimics ?
Duct tape will outlast the best welded seam ?
Duct tape does not work really well on exhaust manfolds, but it is OK to try? you never know.

If your two piece axel is coming apart, use a ten pound or better sledge hammer to peen over the end, then professionally finish the job with dut tape.?

Some of the above are actual events, dicovered while working on some older vehicles.
The names have been changed to protect the innocent ?

anyone care to add to this ? feel free

**DONOTDELETE** 07-24-2003 01:25 PM

My TJ has a 3 inch lift and had B F Goodrich AT 31x10.50 when I bought it. It was a little spooky cornering at Hiway speed and rode pretty rough. I changed to Big O P265R15 Sport Touring AT's and though it still is not a sports car it took the stress out of the daily grind. Here in Arizona we havn't had any weather to speak of so the off-roading testing has been limited to rocks but they have got the job done. The real test will be the first week of August when I take it to Colorado off-roading. Since I went from LT to a P I am a little concerned about putting a stick through the side wall but Big O's have a good warrenty so I am taking the chance.
I will leave a pass or fail on the tires upon my return from Telluride. [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]