body lift ?'s - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2003, 11:00 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

body lift ?\'s

first i would like to say hi. im a proud first time jeep owner! my ? is i want to put a 2" body lift on and i want to know how hard it is and if theres any complications?
03 wrangler sport
5 spd
4.0 thanks! [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2003, 11:21 AM
Way Outta Control

Re: body lift ?\'s

1. Welcome to the forum.
2. Please complete your user profile:[*] It's a nice thing to do.[*] It's helps to know who we're talkin' to.[*] It helps to know what's your ride.[*]It helps to know the local in which you live.

3. Read the New Posters Message at the top of the forum.
4. Participate! Two brains are better'n one!
5. I'm not a fan of body lifts over 1' because,
6. I think they look stupid (sorry for being so blunt).
6. They don't give more undercarriage/running gear ground clearance.
7. They put more stress on, and can damage the tub,
9. Are they easy to do?
10. Yep, if you can get the bolts free from the tub... they are easy to do.
11. IMHO... look for another way to lift that TJ...
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2003, 02:53 PM

A 1' body lift LEVE??? Man, I don't think I'd ever go over that much either. hehehe [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2003, 03:06 PM

I'm no match when it comes to people on this board like LEVE and others...but I've read up a lot on this subject...and it sounds to me like everyone likes 1", but anything above that the feel is over kill...Myself I think 3" is way to much...but I'm 50/50 on 2"...if your looking to pack in extra tire and don't want to trim the fenders...I say go for it...Something to think about is how much wheeling are you going to do...are you going to try and hang with rock crawlers...or just a few light trails every year? If you are building a rock crawler i would say sick with 1" to none...but that's just my $.02.

Hope that helps,

Tucker
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2003, 04:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

thanx for the advice. i do little wheelin every now and then, nothing big. i think i just want bigger tires and the look. i also want to do a 1.75-2" spring spacer. u know for looks. [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2003, 05:06 PM

One thing to keep in mind on doing any kind of lift is your going to seperate things that the factory didn't design to be seperated. For instance, if you have your shifters on the floor (like most of us do) you are going to loose some of the movement from the shifter. You might have to enlargen the holes in your floor to be able to get in or out of gear(tranny and x-fer case). Then things like the speedo cable, ground wires, other wiring, linkages, gas fill lines might be to short. Two inches will also change where a mechanical fan sits in the fan shroud. The list goes on from there. Some of these things aren't usually thought of when people go into it just for "the look". If you are going to do this then do it right and don't try to go the cheap route.
I have heard (but never experienced) that a body lift will put more stress on the body mounts in a hard stopping condition. IMHO I would never go over 1" for a body lift.

BTW, wlecome to the board, and congrats on your first Jeep!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2003, 05:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

what about the spring spacers? how are they? thanks
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2003, 08:32 PM
Veteran

Location: Milwaukee(which is algonquin for the good land)WI U.S.A

I use a two inch spring spacer stacked on top of my two inch springs. The manufactuer doesn't recommend this use but Skyjacker uses one in their cheap 6 inch kit (2 inch spacer+4 inch spring) Anyways I also have a two inch spacer on my fiance's ZJ no problems from either one.
John
[email protected]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2003, 08:48 PM
rkulrik

I just removed the 2" body lift from my YJ and am extremely happy I did. All the issues that are listed on the post went away with the removal. At the same time I installed a 3.5" Superlift spring and shock suspension package. The ride is more safe, the clearance( 32x11.5) is better, the shifting of the manual is easier, no popping out of 2nd, 4th, and overall appearance is better. So, I say if you lift, go suspension, and btw sometimes more is just more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode