CJ 5 not starting - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2003, 02:19 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

CJ 5 not starting

I have had the alternator tested it is working properly.
The Battery if fine have had that checked. However for some reason the battery does not seem to charge when the Jeep is running. It was running fine shut it off went out about 2 hours later and nothing at all. The wires that come into the alternator where do they need to be connected? For sure so that I can make sure that they are connected where they should be. [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2003, 07:49 AM

Re: CJ 5 not starting

Late model 5s have three connections to the alternator. One, the heavy red one, goes to the starter solenoid lug that also has the heavy cable that runs to the battery.

Then there's a smaller red wire that runs to the same terminal as the heavy red wire. It provides feedback to the built-in regulator.

Then there's a small black wire that eventually runs in to the ignition switch. Exactly how depends on the year, I think. It is a special high-resistance wire that excites the alternator so that it can bootstrap up. It has high resistance so that when you shut off the ignition there isn't enough current flow backwards from the alternator to the ignition circuit to keep the ignition firing. Often this wire gets replaced with a regular wire and a diode.

But, your problem sounds more like a battery drain through some accessory. There are many posts on how to diagnose that. Search for 'battery drain" and see what you find.

It might help us if you filled in your profile so that we knew what year your CJ is and what equipment and modifications it has. Read the first post.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2003, 09:15 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Like Jim said, I was thinking battery drain also.

Do this, get a test light, disconnect the negative battery cable, and run the test light between the battery and the cable to see if there is a draw on the electrical system. if the light comes on with the ignition switch in the off position, then you have a current draw on the battery. could be a bad switch, some wired backward, a positive wire that has worn through it's casing and is grounding out..... I had this one time and found that the electric choke was run wired to the wrong post on the solenoid..... :P

to narrow the search down, have a friend pull the the fuses on the fuse box one at a time (and put them back) you should come across a fuse that cuts power to a circuit. check that entire circuit.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2003, 12:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

well found one problem already someone forgot to put the wire from the battery to the alternator having battery recharged then going from there, checking peoples credentials before they toucha my jeep again [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2003, 05:31 PM
Way Outta Control

1. Well Bumble Bee ( or can I call you BB? ), welcome to the forum.
2. Thanks for filling out your user profile.
3. Read the New Posters Message at the top of the forum.
4. Participate more often!
5. Two brains are always better'n one!
6. Glad you got it fixed!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-24-2003, 12:46 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

well I have taken the alternator out had it tested...good
Had the battery out and tested...good or so they say
put alternator back in charged battery myself put wire from back of alternator to battery Jeep starts YES runs gr8
Turn jeep off go back a hour later just click click click
Hmmmmmmm what next thinking that the battery needs replaced for starters however got it in March Hmmmm What next Do I jump start it? charge the battery again then take it down Or what? [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-24-2003, 07:54 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I'd definately swap out the battery. If it won't start after only an HOUR you have a pretty serious "drain" on the system. A good battery should be able to withstand an hour with all your equipment running. Plus, swapping the battery is an easy check.

But beware, the battery might just be warn from all the draining and recharging. Even though it may solve your problem, be wary for the next week. Hate to see you stranded road-side.

Good luck.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-24-2003, 08:05 AM
Way Outta Control

1. What's the Ammeter reading:[*]At idle [*]At 2000 RPM [*]With ignition in Run Mode, with the engine NOT running.
2. With the Battery fully charged run the Jeep to the Auto-parts store.
3. Ask to use the Load Tester and test the:[*]Alternator [*]Battery
4. If everything's OK return and park the Jeep.
5. Pull the Positive Cable off the battery.
6. Let it sit over night,
7. Reconnect the battery,
8. Attempt to start the Jeep.
9. If the battery's dead...
10. The battery's bad.
11. If not then start hunting for leakage.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-24-2003, 09:17 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I'd hate for one little thing to get overlooked... check the battery cables for corrosion. if you have the kind that the cable is held to the terminal by a strap, take it apart, clean it, put it back together, and reclamp it to the battery. a dirty connection in the battery cable can have you chasing your tail... I know.. been there done it.. a few times [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-24-2003, 09:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well the battery cables aren't bad already changed those out....charging the battery as I speak...If this doesn't work they getting the battery back...might have found part of the draining problem....The wire for the fog lights has exposed wires on it and caused sparks when moved yesterday..?Is that enough to cause this kind of problem? [img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img] maybe the light will then shine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode