Off Roading Forums banner

will cj-7 shackles fit a YJ?

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  GP'n 
#1 ·
I'm looking into buying a set from another board member - will shackles from a 7 fit my 89 YJ? Aren't CJ springs just the smallest bit narrower or something like that?

Thanks,
Pablo

#2 ·
Don't go with CJ7 shackles. They are muche weaker, 1 inch shorter, and the bolts are just a Joke !

I went the other way around and put some YJ shackles on my CJ7 and that's an improvement !

What you are refering to is the front YJ spring being wider than on a CJ7. However, as there is no spacer that doesn't matter that much as long as you use the correcte size bolt.

Good Luck !

#4 ·
so if these are aftermarket HD shackels, 2" over stock length, they'd net me like 1" of lift, right?

Should I take them? I don't want them if they won't fit, naturally. Since they are a one-piece design, they probably won't fit, right?

Thanks!

G
#6 ·
CJ rear springs are the same width as YJ springs, the front springs are narrower....So if they are aftermarket lift shackles then the front shackle is probably designed for a 2" spring instead of 2.5" on the YJ...so It's not going to work

#7 ·
Well all that aside about wider and narower, The CJ rear and YJ rears are the same the CJ fronts are narrower than the YJ fronts...BUT!!!!!
The bolts in the shackles on a CJ are just little 3/8" bolts the bolts on a YJ shackle are 1/2" unless you do some serious drilling you will not get the YJ bolt into the CJ shackle and you can't use the CJ bolts because they will slop around in the spring eyes

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.