Drivetrain knock - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-22-2003, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

Drivetrain knock

Just today I started hearing a knock which seemed to be underneith me (Driver-side).

It happens when I get going, and then depress the clutch. As I engage the clutch, and speed up die dies away.

As I slow down, depress clutch, disengage the gear and come to a stop it slow down, then finialy stops while I idle. It sounds like it's insync with the clutch or something around that area in the drive train.

Since it doesn't sound at idle, and it eventualy slows down. That is what lead me to believe it was drive-train related, not engine.

Given the sound happens most frequently when I apply the clutch, I figured it might be related. The clutch still engaged, and there seems to be nothing functionaly wrong (at the moment, knock on wood).

I've taken some pictures of around the drive shaft connection points, since they seem a little suspecious.

thanks

will post the pics in one sec
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-22-2003, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

Re: Drivetrain knock

I believe the transmission is a BA/10, and the x-fer case should be an NP231. Not sure how many miles are on clutch, will dig through the P.O's records.

Here are the images.:

front drive-shaft #1

front #2 close up

front #3 joint

rear #1 shaft

I hope I cut the sizes down right. I posted them since it seems to be the right area, and they looked like something slid out.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2003, 08:13 AM Thread Starter

Well, given the lack of responces I should have checked the obvious. Since my problem sounds rather odd.

This morning, i have my knock as normal, issue with the soft-top so I pull over and fix it. Knock goes away. I figured that going up on the embankment slid something back that was loose.

NOPE

About 1/2 mile from the University BAM, rear left tire falls off. Barely on.

Now, I know what your thinking, I'm not dumb enough to be driving around with loose lugs, they looked fine last night.

I get the van at work, and jack myself up. (Yea I helped a friend this weekend and my jack wound up back in my garage)

So, I pull a lug off each wheel and limp back to the Univ.

So, what can anyone take away from this?

a)You've heard it before, and you get to hear it again. Have your emergency gear on you (jack, whatnot)

b)When your problem looks so complicated you can't figured it out. Check the obvious.

c)When all is said and done, if nothing is broken, and no one is hurt, laugh a little. I've got to do a serious look at everything .

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-24-2003, 11:54 PM

Sounds like your problem is solved but I'm not sure I understand. Did someone pull your lug nuts off? That actually happened to one of my buddies about 2 weeks ago while he was driving down the freeway at 65 MPH and 120 miles from his house. Fortunately, no one got hurt and the truck is ok too but the wheel is junk and he had to get the truck towed back home. He is very anal about his wheels and torques his lug nuts by hand with a torque wrench, like I do. He figures that someone tried to steal the wheels but couldn't get the keyed security lug off. So, he unknowingly drove it with just the security lug until it finally broke that stud. Another friend of mine had a "wobbling" feel on her car after getting snow tires mounted. She pulled over and found that all the lugs on one wheel were loose. The mechanic forgot to tighten them.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2003, 08:18 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Time for everyone to review the "Safety Circle"

Always park your Jeep, Car or truck so that you will walk up to it on the passenger side, as you walk up to it, look, see anything odd? No...move to the drivers side. Yes...stop and see what's not right. Watch truck drivers...most of them do this...many will check all their lights DAILY, most check their tires every time they get in thier rig...your life depends on your vehicle being safe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode