Wheeling in Wharton State Forest in New Jersey? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-22-2003, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Wheeling in Wharton State Forest in New Jersey?

I put this on the "Where to go?" forum as well but nobody reads that so....
I have heard that wheeling is allowed in Wharton State Forest in NJ. I live up north but have been thinking of taking a camping trip down there and trying to find the trails. I found a write up on a website stating that there are lots of trails right off 206 below the Atsion office? I'm not looking for anything real extreme but something fun to do. Anyone down there know the trails and where the good spots are if its true?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-22-2003, 03:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Wheeling in Wharton State Forest in New Jersey

I wouldn't say I know the trails there, but am willing to go. I've wheeled there before and camped. Not to much going on. Lots of deep water that should be tested before driving through. Especially after the rain we are having today. You can't get lost. Well maybe it's a big park, but there are roads everywhere and state park patrols.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-22-2003, 04:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Wheeling in Wharton State Forest in New Jersey?

Hey,

As you can see from my name I am from the area. I live minutes from that area. Its been some time now since I have had my jeep back there cause of it not being legal. However people do go out there often. However the Rangers can some times be a pain the butt. If the road isn't on a map, your not allowed to drive down it. At that point they will consider it illegal since your off the road.

About the wheeling - Be careful. Some of the mud holes will swallow your jeep, some won't.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-22-2003, 05:04 PM
Addict

Yeah, surfing thru the site, it doesn't appear that they allow any motorized traffic (ie. 4 wheeling). Likely only allowed to drive on improved roads to designated parking areas. [img]images/graemlins/bs.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-22-2003, 07:17 PM
Keyboard Implanted

qtec trail rides

Check that link out. There is a group of jeeps that go to the pines at least once a month. I havent been able to hook up with them yet this year but they are a good bunch. Just look for pine barrens runs.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-22-2003, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Hey thanks for the info and link to that board. It seems that it is legal as long as you stay on "roads" that are on the map. I still need to get a winch on mine cause I would probably be solo but am definitely going to head down there and look around ASAP. At least theres actually a legal place to wheel in NJ, I may have to move down there. [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Anymore suggestions for wheeling spots... keep em comin.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-22-2003, 09:11 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Im not sure if I would go into the pines by myself the first few times without knowing where i was going. Its very easy to get lost out there. Also alot of the holes look like nothing and turn out to be very ugly. Jersey Wheeler will remember a trip we had where we couldnt get a truck winched out with out jacking the truck up first then winching. Let me know when you do come down, and maybe we can meet up. I dont know the pines good enough to get around, but im sure I can find someone. Plus im just about ready for a pines run. [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-22-2003, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Cool, thanks for the offer. [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
I have been thinking about a camping trip to Wharton so I could hang out down there for a couple days. I will definitely send you an email when I figure out when I can make it down. Anyone else in the area want to meet up, maybe we can get something together?
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2003, 06:39 AM

I did the 2nd Jeep jamboree down in Absecon NJ. The water holes were pretty deep! I don't recommend going alone, It's nice to have someone else to pull you out of the deep holes. Since you live in Northern NJ (as i do), You might want to remove your rear drums and wash them out before driving home. I didn't and all I had left was gray sludge from the sand and water turning my drums and shoes into mush. [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img]
As I was driving up the Parkway, my brake pedal got lower and lower on every toll.
When I got home, I had to replace both rear drums and brake shoes.

[img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2003, 10:01 AM
Addict

Hey I'm up for a run to the PB's. I live in (near) Atlantic City now so it's close. Unfortunately my Jeeps are still in MD. Need to figure out how to get them here. But I have my stock [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] Toyota T100, if you don't mind running w/a Toy vice a Jeep [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]. Let me know when you'll be here. [emailto:[email protected]]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode