Supertops Sunrider or California Tops 'Multi Top'? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-22-2003, 03:34 PM
msquared

Supertops Sunrider or California Tops \'Multi Top\'?

I dunno if many of you know about California Tops (based in Edmonton, Alberta), but on the local boards many people seem to like them and I'll be posting a similar post on there too.

They have a top called the 'multitop or sporttop'. Here is the site:
http://www.californiatops.com/indexframens.html
Click on 'blowout sale' to see pictures of the multi top in all it's glory. I was wondering what everyone's thoughts are on this. It has no 'bows' or metal bars of any kind, and has many configurations.

I'm either going to get this, or the sunrider supertop, but the Cal. Top is more than $200 CDN cheaper. And I like the idea of not having any bars to screw around with, and the multiple configurations.

I've spoken to dealers for both tops, and both dealers had the same negative things to say about the other's top, such as "doesn't always fit right... customer complaints... won't bring in except for special orders..."

Any recommendations?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-22-2003, 04:05 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

Re: Supertops Sunrider or California Tops \'Multi Top\'?

Do some searches on google.com or lycos.com. Also, search some forums on Cal Tops. The owner has a HORRIBLE reputation for treating customers like garbage. Just thought I would let you know. Here is a link to a thread a while back.

California Tops
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-22-2003, 10:19 PM

I own a california top. given the option of working with another company, I would not buy from them again. great product, I like the design, but customer service SUCKS.

Fortunately BESTOP has a new line of half-cab tops out for both TJ's and YJ's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-22-2003, 10:24 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

That's news to me. As far as I can tell, they only make them for TJ's at the current moment. I also can't seem to get Bestop to respond to my request about more infon on the Halftop for YJ's.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-22-2003, 11:28 PM

Don't ask bestop, ask somebody who knows...Like me.

QuadraJunk Link

Just started shipping, I'd like to see one in person though.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-22-2003, 11:50 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Supertops Sunrider or California Tops \'Multi T

That's not a YJ, it's a premature TJ...YJ's have slanted roll bars... [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2003, 03:12 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Talk about a spendy top. I'd need soft doors to match, so that'd put me in the $700 range. Might as well buy a full supertop/crappytop(which ever one you prefer).

EDIT: I was wrong, for the halftop, and full soft doors, I'd be sitting at $838. That's highway robbery in my book. I think I'll check out Cal Tops, even thought I'm reluctant to deal with that pr$ck.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2003, 10:17 AM

If your reluctant to deal with Cal tops because of his service, and I don't blame you, why not order from one of his dealers maybe they would have better service and let them deal with him if you have problems.

I looked at Hansens 4x4 site and they had the same price listed for the top as Caltops site did.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2003, 11:20 AM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
why not order from one of his dealers maybe they would have better service and let them deal with him if you have problems.

[/ QUOTE ]

That sounds good , but in most cases the seller will refere you to the manufacturer for any problems other than sales.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-24-2003, 05:41 PM
msquared

Re: Supertops Sunrider or California Tops \'Multi T

Thanks for all the help everyone. I've bought the Cal Top, it's sitting in my living room and tonight I'll drop the HT off at a friend's place and strap on the Multi Top and see how it is. The dealer here I bought it from said I could put it on and if it doesn't fit right he'll take it back as long as I don't drive with it on.

It looks pretty good on the floor, I must tell ya! I'll post some pictures of all the pieces if anybody wants...

~Ryan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode