Why do Shackles lean out - Page 2 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of (permalink) Old 07-24-2003, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

Re: Why do Shackles lean out

Everything is stock on this Jeep, I doubt it has ever been off road, but I'll fix that too! [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] With the weight off the springs and the axel supported the spring does not line up with the hanger. I did not check the center pin but did look for a crack in the main spring and found it to look okay. I loosened the ubolts on the pass side but could not get the spring to line up. I might not have loosened them enough. I will try again after I get the right socket for the impact gun, they are a bear by hand. While I am at it I will replace the rear bushing also, then they will all be new.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of (permalink) Old 07-24-2003, 11:03 PM

The shackles in the picture look like ConFerrs. I put on a set of those last year and I ended up with a slight outward lean too but only when the Jeep is at rest. When it is jacked up, they're straight. I took all four springs out to replace the bushings and replaced a few U-bolts. While doing that, I cleaned everything and made sure that the springs lined up with the pins on the perches. I remember that the ConFerr instructions said that a slight lean is nothing to get worried about. I've come to the conclusion that it must be worn springs that cause the leaning condition.
post #13 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2003, 09:28 AM
JMZ
Journeyman

My shackels on the rear were doing the same thing,maybe not as bad . When I did my reverse shackle in the front I put longer shackles in the back . I figured the longer shackle would make it look worse so I loosened the u-bolts and squeezed the rear springs together with a come-a-long and re tightened the u-bolts. Now the shackles look pretty close to vertical.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2003, 09:34 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Shouldn't your spring perches and centering pin kept your springs from moving along the axle?

post #15 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2003, 09:58 AM
JMZ
Journeyman

I think there is enough slack in the peches and centering pins to get a little movement. What ever you can get there will double at the end of the spring.
post #16 of (permalink) Old 07-26-2003, 12:04 PM
Sdenver

Brian,

I have been rebuilding a CJ6 frame and noticed that the
non-boxed portion of the Frame on many jeeps bends over time and hard use over time where the spring and shakle hanger are attached. This in effect made my Jeep's shakles tilt a little. I fixed it only when the Jeep was totally disassembled down to the bare frame-- and did some boxing of the frame with 1/8 and 1/4 steel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode