Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Jeep-Short Wheelbase (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/)
-   -   rear disk brakes finally work GOOD (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/171890-rear-disk-brakes-finally-work-good.html)

elusive 07-21-2003 05:37 PM

rear disk brakes finally work GOOD

I did sooooo much research trying to get a good combination for my brakes to work good, but in the end I just did what I thought would work and did "trail and error"
heres what I used.
1. 79 f-150 rotors
2. 79 chevy 1/2 ton calipers
3. 83 chevy 1 ton master cylinder, non-hydroboost
all therse parts are remarkably cheap.
a) I had to drill the mounting holes in the master cylinder to get it to bolt onto the stock power booster.. not much..maybe 1/8" bigger.
b) I found a large rubber o-ring to seal between the master cylinder and the booster.. silicone would work
c) I took the stock combination valve apart and got rid of the plunger. This causes fluid to leak out, so i welded the weep hole shut (tiny hole)
d) you could use adapters, but I swapped fittings from one line to another to get them all to fit.

jeep stops well enough to blow a stainless line apart now.
locks up my 37" MTR's going 40mph.. that stopping REALLY fast

TOM85CJ7 07-21-2003 06:21 PM

Re: rear disk brakes finally work GOOD

You Suck!! [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

I have been working on my 4 Wheel disc setup for over a year, and it still doesn't stop like I want.

Congratulations! Now go brake someting....

Later,

teejay68 07-21-2003 06:37 PM

Did you use an adjustable proportioning valve for the rear? What about residual valves? I need to get mine set up, but I hate messing with tubing! I still have the stock proportioning valve in mine.

TJ

mobdawg 07-21-2003 06:48 PM

Finally got mine able to skid the tires at 30 using basically the same setup but F250 Rotors and GM 3/4 ton calipers, cut the proportioning valve in half and just used the rear half (for front brakes),and direct linked the lines going to the rear brakes with a coupler. After bleed, tighten, bleed, tighten, bleed, tighten....several more times, it finally works! woo hoo!

jdoggmoney 07-21-2003 07:28 PM

Pics please!! Show us brackets, before and after, etc. This is somethin I've got to look into further. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

elusive 07-21-2003 07:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I posted a good write up of the whole process here:
http://bbs.off-road.com/ubbthreads/s...rue#Post989597

in2mud 07-22-2003 09:13 AM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I took the stock combination valve apart and got rid of the plunger. This causes fluid to leak out, so i welded the weep hole shut (tiny hole)

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you still running the fronts through the valve?
If you are you no longer have a split system and if you blow a line you'll loose pressure in both front and rear. Not sure if you knew that so I thought I'd mention it just incase.

elusive 07-22-2003 11:25 AM

your right...
ever loose a brake line though?? you dont have ANY brakes anyway...I have lost 3 (all in the front) And I never had any brakes at all any of the times untill I vice gripped off the broken line.
I have read that a stock zj combination valve from a disk brake zj works really good, but since my jeep stops so well.. I'l probably leave well enough alone....especially since I have 5.38 gears and a 5 speed...

in2mud 07-22-2003 12:05 PM

ever loose a brake line though??

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, been there done that on a few differant vehicles.

you dont have ANY brakes anyway...

[/ QUOTE ]

Well in theory you still have half of the brakes but I agree there not much. Going down the street you still have enough to stop with enough room but now out 4-wheel'n with large tires and going down hill they will probally just slow you down some but some is still better then nothing, to me anyway.

I have read that a stock zj combination valve from a disk brake zj works really good, but since my jeep stops so well.. I'l probably leave well enough alone

[/ QUOTE ]

If it works I wouldn't mess around changing the valve either but I'd think about just using a tee and bypassing the gutted valve to the fronts or just doing away with the valve altogether while still spliting the system.

I'm not trying to cut down what you did so don't take it that way. Like I said I just wanted to point this out if you didn't know about it. [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img] I'm glad someone came up with a system that doesn't use those [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img] caddy calipers!

BTW what are you using for a e-brake? If nothing, won't California inspections require one?

elusive 07-22-2003 04:34 PM

If it works I wouldn't mess around changing the valve either but I'd think about just using a tee and bypassing the gutted valve to the fronts or just doing away with the valve altogether while still spliting the system.
actually... I tried just a T in the front and useing the valve in original condition for the rear, but it didnt work....dunno why.. but it didnt work

BTW what are you using for a e-brake? If nothing, won't California inspections require one?

so many good questions..
I'm hoping to keep the jeep registered in michigan... no inspection and my drivers liscence is from there... but if I must, I have an atlas so I'll order the x-fer case mounted e-brake jesse at high angle driveline offers