Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Jeep-Short Wheelbase (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/)
-   -   Engine Fan clutch operation Q. (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/171854-engine-fan-clutch-operation-q.html)

4x401CJ5 07-21-2003 11:49 AM

Engine Fan clutch operation Q.

Who can explain how a clutch fan is supposed to operate? And more specificly, how they work intenally. I`m
getting alot of different explanations.

LEVE 07-21-2003 12:23 PM

Re: Engine Fan clutch operation Q.

1. The fan clutch is viscous material, that
2. As it heats up, it becomes more solid.
3. As it becomes solid, the fan turns with the engine.
4. Clutch Test, try to turn the fan with the engine off, and:[*] Engine Hot , the fan should not turn easily.[*] Engine Cold, the fan should spin easily

4x401CJ5 07-21-2003 02:23 PM

Thats what I thought. but what if they`re hard to turn cold? I just replaced mine because it was bad, or so
I thought. I was having overheating problems up at the Trail Jam in Naches, Washington. I put in a new
aluminum rad. when I got back home, and still had problems. My old clutch turned easy hot or cold. Went to
get a new fan clutch and the first one the kid threw on the counter was as easy to turn cold, as my old one.
Told him I didn`t want that and he grabbed a different one and it was hard to turn. Put that one on and it`s
cooling much better. That sound right? Thought about you Sunday LEVE, I drove up to Coer`de Alene to shoot
in a match and thought about stopping by for a root beer [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img], but my partners car broke down on I-90
in Spokane and we had to rent a car to get back home. Kind of put a damper on the day, so we passed on the
match, maybe next year.

4x401CJ5 07-22-2003 09:33 AM

BTT

LEVE 07-22-2003 10:02 AM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Thats what I thought. but what if they`re hard to turn cold?

[/ QUOTE ]1. If they are hard to turn cold,
2. Then they rob horsepower at lower temps.
3. As the clutch may be partically engaged,
4. Locking the pulley to the fan shaft.
5. It may be a viscous coupling engineering difference.</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
car broke down on I-90 in Spokane and we had to rent a car to get back home

[/ QUOTE ]6. I'm always up for a root-beer or helping people on the freeway,
7. As my wife soon found out,
8. We helped a guy up in the Wasatch front on the night of my marriage...
9. Since then she just rolls her eyes when I roll to a stop to help...
10. She never new what she was gettin' in to...
11. After 29 years, you'd think she'd be gettin' a clue! [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]

CJDave 07-23-2003 04:18 AM

[img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] There ARE different clutches for different jobs. We bought one for our FS GM 3/4T 350/SM465/Np205/14-Bolt FF and the thing NEVER really shut off, so we took it back and got something a little less aggressive. Those Chev-Lay pickups usually have "fan" on startup, and then it fades away and you don't hear from it again until you are pulling that grade outa Salt Lake in third-under with a gross weight of about 20,000 Lbs.....(yes, we DID split the transfer case for eight speeds forward in two-wheel drive).... THEN you'll hear it as it takes a good-sized bite out of your horsepower cookie. [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]