Several Questions for you experienced Jeep Folks! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-21-2003, 04:18 AM
JeredYJ

Several Questions for you experienced Jeep Folks!

#1 [img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]When I get into an off-road situation with my front left or right wheel off the ground and the opposite rear wheel off the ground only the ones that have no grip will turn = me stuck. Will a set of rear lockers solve that problem AND what do you think of LOCK-RIGHT or EZ-LOCK lockers???

#2 [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] Would this make sense and work well on/off road: (keep in mind I am NO off-road pro)
1.25" or 2" shackle lift, Rancho 5000's, and 31x10.5 BFG AT's. I am just worried about this being an acceptable cheap lift and clearing the fenders during flex!

#3 [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] When I turn off my engine it shutters a little. Is this normal? Could this be a problem I should take a look at?

Thank you for your help!
-Jered
'91 Wrangler, 4.0, dual exhaust, likes dirt...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-21-2003, 08:42 AM
Way Outta Control

Re: Several Questions for you experienced Jeep Folks!

1. Lockers help... it's your choice of what type.
2. There is no such thing as a cheap lift.
3. You've got to pay the price for the height.... in one way or another.
4. Shuddering engine (dieseling?) is not normal.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-21-2003, 08:53 AM

#1. Yes, locker do just that, they "lock" both wheels on an axle together so they are always receiving an even amount of power.

#2. I have a '92 with 31's and it rubs. I have a 1.25" shackle lift on the front only for sagging purposes. I have trimmed the flares about 1" on all 4 corners and it still rubs. You need 2" lift to 3" lift in my opinion to run 31's on a YJ.

#3. This is not normal. You might want to start checking it out a little more. Maybe someone else can help you more here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-21-2003, 12:35 PM
Veteran

Location: Milwaukee(which is algonquin for the good land)WI U.S.A

1. Yes a locker will work, but I would wait for a heftier axle to come around to lock it. D35 have enough problems on their own if you have L.S. rear look into replacing the clutch packs.
2. Anything will work...how well is the question, My friend runs a YJ with a 3 inch body lift and a 2 inch longer shackle...so 4 inches of lift and not my preferred set up. It does o.k. he clears the tires in front but still rubs in the rear sometimes...I think that'a cuased by other reasons though.
3. Check your timing
John
[email protected]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-21-2003, 12:44 PM
Addict

also on #3, cleaning carbon buildup out of intake and valves and cylinders. sea foam through the pcv hose should do the trick.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-21-2003, 01:17 PM
WhompBigJeep

I have a 2-inch body lift and my 31" BFGs rub at full stuff in the front. But I am from the "finesse" school of four-wheeling, so it's not terrible. If you have your track/sway bars and/or bump stops on, you won't rub unless you launch it. I didn't rub till I took my bump stops off. However, I need about 2 more inches which I ain't gonna get from a shackle lift alone. For 31"s, if you want good articulation, I would think you need:
1) 1" Shackle lift (2" longer than stock)
2) 2" body lift
3) Trim fenders and add TJ flares.

You might even be able to get 32"s on that set-up.

LEVE is right - there is no cheap easy lift. The above is about all you can do without adding lift springs (or going SOA). I'm just thinking about the above set up so I can keep my veerrry flexy stock springs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode