Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Jeep-Short Wheelbase (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/)
-   -   AMC 304 Coolant Temperature Override Switch (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/171826-amc-304-coolant-temperature-override-switch.html)

Brhino 07-20-2003 11:03 PM

AMC 304 Coolant Temperature Override Switch

Does anybody actually reinstall this switch? It is on the intake manifold to the passengers side of the thermostat housing. It is a temperature switch that when coolant temp is less than 160 degrees, the timing advance on the distributer runs off the intake manifold vacuum. When it warms up, it then switches over to carburetor vacuum for the timing advance.

Is this necessary? Seems kinda overkill to me. Is it worth the price of a new switch? I was thinking just running the TR ignition off the carb vacuum period.
Thanks.

4x401CJ5 07-20-2003 11:10 PM

Re: AMC 304 Coolant Temperature Override Switch

I wouldn`t worry about replacing it unless you Jeep needs to meet emissions standards.

CJDave 07-22-2003 01:49 AM

[img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] That is a part of the total-smog emissions package for the California-legal 304 V8 engines. We have the same thing on our CJ-7. We were in the process of totally re-smogging this Jeep for CA when we suddenly knocked the tent down and moved outa that looney bin. We even replicated an emissions label that had been lost when the previous owner replaced the tinware in front. [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Brhino 07-22-2003 10:05 PM

Some things in life just do not make sense to this Iowa boy. I buy a new Edelbrock Performer intake, non-egr model. So....it seems that they would make it totally non-emission then don't you?? [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] Why would they do that? I thought that is what they were trying to pull with that thing-to make us all a little more green. It just really does not seem to me to make a bit of difference.

I think the hole will just get a plug and put it straight up to the carb. I believe this is the first part of my Jeep rebuild that I get to save some money-a part deleted and not added! $4.99+tax minus the cost of a plug+tax. Yes, I called Autozone for a price! Small, but a victory none the less. [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

CJDave 07-23-2003 03:05 AM

[img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] You wanna hear something that is REALLY sad.. [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]...we HAD that same manifold and a brand new Holly 4-bbl that CAME with our Jeep from the previous owners, and we took it off and traded it away for a stock intake and a Motorcraft 2150 carb to meet smog and to help compensate for the extreme differences in altitude that we had to contend with. We climbed 2500 feet in the last nine miles on the way home each day; to our residential altitude of 4500 Ft. The reduction in WEIGHT alone was a huge advantage having that Edelbrock. DRAT!!! [img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]