Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Jeep-Short Wheelbase (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/)
-   -   Need help now!!! w/steering stab replacment (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/171793-need-help-now-w-steering-stab-replacment.html)

babypoo 07-20-2003 05:42 PM

Need help now!!! w/steering stab replacment

I think my steering stabalizer is gone to to the feriuos shaking I would get after hitting a bump...I went out and bought a new and began to remove the old one. Where I;m having the problem is the stud that holds the steering stabilizer to the tie rod te castle nut came off but the stud will not push out!!! I have tried P.B. Blaster, heating it with both propane and mapp gas and pounded on it with my BFH but to no avail it will not even move. Any help will be more than apprecited maybe a ball joint spliter??? I just don't know.
John
[email protected]

Rio_Grande 07-20-2003 05:54 PM

Re: Need help now!!! w/steering stab replacment

Can you press it out with a vice and a socket just big enough to clear the head of the stud? Bet once you got it going it would pop right out.

babypoo 07-20-2003 06:08 PM

Jeff thanks for the quick response,
If I were to use a vice I would have to remove the steering linkage would maybe a c-clamp work?
John
[email protected]

Rio_Grande 07-20-2003 07:03 PM

Maby, same principal. but if you press on the bolt, make sure and use a nut or brass on the bolt thread.

Rio_Grande 07-20-2003 07:05 PM

I looked at mine, You may be better off with a ball joint seperator or mabey even a pitman arm puller.

babypoo 07-20-2003 08:30 PM

I ended up using an air chisel to make a pilot and the then a tie rod puller...popped right off now as I was putting it back together I come to find out that the steering stabilizer isn't even the problem Dohhh!!!!! Back to working on it tomorrow I migt go get parts tonight.
Thanx a ton Jeff,
John
[email protected]

mav750 07-20-2003 08:33 PM

Check the front track bar John. Ive been seeing alot of those goin bad at work, and causing the same thing.

babypoo 07-20-2003 08:43 PM

Track bar goes from pitman arm to tie rod... correct, if so the ball joint in the end that connects to the pitman arm is the culprit can just that ball joint be replaced?
John
[email protected]

barfnick 07-21-2003 10:47 AM

I don't believe so. I think it is the same setup as my XJ and I ended up having to get a new one. As a side note, don't go with the cheap one 4WD hardware sells. It probably works fine without a lift, but I bought one and it lasted all of 3000 miles with my 3" lift. If you have a lift, get the adjustable one.

speed_buggy 07-21-2003 03:24 PM

<font color="blue"> drag link </font color> goes from pitman arm to tie rod