I'm an idiot. Please help. (TJ Suspension) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-20-2003, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

I\'m an idiot. Please help. (TJ Suspension)

I bought a '99 TJ a little while back. It rides great unless I have it full of people and hit a medium sized bump, then it "bottoms out" on the frame.

Upon further review, I think that it had been lifted previously and left half returned to stock. I know I should have checked more carefully before purchase, but I think I still got a good deal.

I have pictures posted here if some of you that know what the stock suspension is supposed to look like would please take a quick look and let me know if I'm seeing what I think I am.

Please respond here and let me know if you agree with my explaination of the mess that is my suspension or what you think the situation is. Returning it to stock condition is fine with me for now as I wont be doing any extreme offroading for a while. Tires HAVE to be my first big purchase, and stock suspension will do for the mild trails I'll be getting my feet wet on as I'm obviously new to this sport.

Thanks in advance for the help and please feel free to ask for any further info if it will help with the trouble shooting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-20-2003, 05:52 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: I\'m an idiot. Please help. (TJ Suspension)

how much weight was in the jeep when the pics were taken?
those bumpstops look exactly like the extended ones I got from rubicon express when i lifted my wifes tj.
I bet someone had 33"tires stuffed under the jeep and tossed those in there to keep from tearing them up when he hit bumps.
the rear springs look a little short to me... but im not sure.. its been awhile since I'be seen a stock tj spring.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-20-2003, 05:55 PM
RedSandDog

Yep, I would agree. The front has what looks like the Rubicon Express bump stop and that plastic pad thing bolted to the lower spring cup. The rear just looks wrong. The stop is missing, as you pointed out, but the springs look too short. Can you post a pofile shot of the Jeep|?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-20-2003, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

As for the weight when the pictures were taken, there was one person in the front passenger (approx 170 lbs).
I should have mentioned that it is a rag top only, 4.0L, 5 spd.
Here is a full picture
from the side.

Thanks for the input thus far guys!!!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-20-2003, 06:07 PM
RedSandDog

Hmmm.

Ride height looks OK. What size tires are you looking to go to?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-20-2003, 06:10 PM
Swansonoldcj

Not an idiot! I learned long ago the only stupid qeustion,is the one you didn't ask! wish I could help but I don't have a tj handy! [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
gas.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-20-2003, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Thanks Swan.
I'll probably just stick with 30's, but if I can afford it I might get 31's or 32's.
If I can find the rubber stops for the rear, could I put some small coil spacers on the four corners and just leave everything as it is with the stop spacers in place?
Will this actually give me a performance boost, or are spring spacers cosmetic only?
Still time to re-think that last post Swan..... [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-20-2003, 06:45 PM
Veteran

Location: Milwaukee(which is algonquin for the good land)WI U.S.A

Yes sir ree bob I agree with everyone else, good eye. Sorry I didn't suggest that but who in their rigt mind would think of that.
John
[email protected]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-20-2003, 06:54 PM
RedSandDog

Not sure if you would even be interested, but I put a RE 3.5 lift on my Rubicon, I still have the factory springs/shocks/control arms/etc in the garage. It is designed for 31's.

PM me if you have any interest.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-20-2003, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Does it look to anyone like I could just remove the four bump stop extensions and then get two new rubber bumpers for the rear?
That would be the cheapest fix for me if possible and right now I just can't afford to sink much money into it.
Here's the pictures again if you haven't seen them yet.
I really need to get something figured out as quickly and cheaply as possible since I can't find any <font color="red"> pebble crawling</font color> clubs in my area to join. [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Thanks again and in advance of any further info anyone can give.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode