Somewhat O/T: AMC 360: OILY EXHAUST but RUNS FINE - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-20-2003, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Somewhat O/T: AMC 360: OILY EXHAUST but RUNS FINE

My newly-acquired '86 AMC 360 w/ 130K mi. runs very well but tends to run hot and is spitting oily droplets in exhaust stream. I have an '81 AMC 360 w/ 85K mi. that also runs good (just completed non-stop 650mi run @ 70mph w/o a hiccup), but w/ low oil pressure (about 25psi 'at speed/under load' showing on OE gauge).

I had initially decided to swap out the '86 for the '81 b/c of oil and overheating issues. However, since listening to the '86 run (almost a purr?), I am rethinking the swap. Since I have to remove the fenders for replacement anyhow, I believe my best (and easiest) plan is to pull the '86's heads and see what the cylinder walls look like. If okay, just re-ring pistons and see what happens instead of going to the trouble of swapping out engine. (I can always go back and swap out the engines, right?)

What suggestions would the wiser and more-experienced folks reading this board have for me? Please, fire away!!!! [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img]

Many thanks aforehand...

R/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-20-2003, 04:31 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Re: Somewhat O/T: AMC 360: OILY EXHAUST but RUNS FINE

Probably not wiser, but is your OE gauge mechanical, meaning does it work off of a oil line directly from the engine? If not, I would check the pressure with a mech gauge. Does it have good psi cold? Hate to fix somethin that ain't broke. Jarret [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-20-2003, 10:37 PM

Re: Somewhat O/T: AMC 360: OILY EXHAUST but RUNS FINE

If your 86 runs so well, I would be inclined to investigate the cause of the problems before doing engine surgery or swapping out the engine. On the high temp issue, how sure are you that the gage is accurate? One way to tell is to scan the radiator and block with an infrared thermometer. Most garages have them or see about borrowing one. While you can't very well scan the car while driving, you can scan it while it is parked and ideling. That way, you can establish a baseline for "calibrating" your guage. If it really is running hot, follow standard procedures (proper tune-up including timing, thermostat, radiator, etc). About the oil droplets from the exhaust, the only thing that comes to mind is that there may be one cylinder with bad rings or valve stem seals and which is not firing. If all 8 are firing, you would burn any oil and see blue smoke from the tail pipe instead.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode