Third Brake Light - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-19-2003, 09:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Third Brake Light

Does anyone the laws on removing the 3rd brake light in NC. I going to mount a swing away carrier, and would like to get rid of the stock unit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-19-2003, 10:24 PM

Re: Third Brake Light

Check with your division of motor vechicles....probably illegal....A lot of stuff is illegal,,changing bumper height, stock mufflers, headlight wattage...etc on and on. There is very little enforcement of this stuff UNTIL you have an accident...Lawyers will take you to the $$$ cleaners, courts will have your a--....Been there done that did not like the verdict. Remember you go to court for a verdict not justice....$$$$$$$$$....
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-19-2003, 10:30 PM
Keyboard Implanted

neither of my jeeps have had the light in 3 years of daily driving..I have 10" of lift and my tires hang half out of the 7" flares.. I've never even been pulled over. If you are concerned about it, they do make an auxillary light that mounts in the center of the spare tire
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-19-2003, 10:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'm a police officer in California.
Federal mandates started requiring vehicle makers to start putting 3rd brake lights on vehicles several years ago for increased brake light visibility. Mainly at the request of insurance companies. But most states only require two as older vehicles only have two. You can search the web under your states vehicle codes or can usually find a hard copy at the Dept of motor vehicles.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-19-2003, 10:37 PM

I agree with Elusive on installing an auxiliary third light no matter whether the DMV says that you can remove it (which would suprise me) or not. First, I remember reading a statistic saying that the third light reduces rear end collisions by something like 60%. Second, the last thing you want is for someone to rear end you and claim that it was your fault because you altered your vehicle's safety features. I'm personally really particular about the lights on all of my vehicles and check them regularly.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-19-2003, 10:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the help. I will check on a different light maybe a small LED light for the center of bumper.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-19-2003, 10:48 PM
Journeyman

And of course the big reason to keep the light on, JUST IN CASE A BORED COP WANTS TO NITPICK!!! Kind of like that most important license plate light in the middle of the day!!! Woohoo, got pulled over twice within 5 miles for that one! [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode