Jeep Driven into the garage on 8/1/2003. The Battery needed charging, but she starts right up and runs smooth. [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
First order of business is replace Fenderwell Headers and glass packs with inframe headers and quieter mufflers. See Exhaust Rebuild
for details of that phase.
Next, replaced front wheel bearings, front cylinders and hoses (drum brakes).
Then changed front and rear differential fluid. Found a surprise
when I upened up the front diff (rust and broken teeth), but after cleanup and inspection have decided to monitor and replace as needed. My 4wd use will be light duty anyway. After all that work, I just HAD to take it to a local spot (Carter Road Park) with some mild sand/mud and give 'er a spin semi off road [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Planned on Oil, Tranny, TCase fluid change next, but while returning from a run to a local vegetable stand, the radiator springs a leak! Luckily it hung in there until I got home, spewing a final stream on my driveway. Decided to just replace the radiator since it has been sitting and is probably full of rust and more pinholes just waiting for me to get 100 miles from home. [img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] So flushed the engine (OMG the rust that came out) and replaced the radiator and hoses. new rad pic
While it was all warmed up from the radiator test, I went ahead and changed the Oil and filter too.
Next, Got a nice set of alloy wheels and 31x10.5R15's wheel pic
and put them on [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] Old wheels will find a home with a fellow Jeeper from Bradenton. So, I take a test drive on the new wheels and all is looking rosy [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] and I go to turn on the headlights (getting near evening) and they blink out [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]. Luckily I was just around the block so I cancelled the test drive and took a look at the wiring. Whoa! connectors on the back of the fuse block (inside the engine compartment) look like someone has taken a torch and waved it around them. connector pic
Not enough to melt through, just sort of melty looking [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]. Oh well, as I have seen written elsewhere, a '75 original harness is a fire looking for a place to happen kindling pic
, so back to the drawing board and order a Centech harness from 4wd.
That's where I am now, I have the harness and have removed the dash and the old harness. Guess what I found behind the dash (No, not a snake)? rust 1
That's right, RUST! Not too bad really, but I had planned to deal with body/interior stuff much later <sigh> So, out with the rust conversion and phospho and here we go. Scraped, sanded, converted, and painted everything that will be covered up when I replace the dash. As soon as it has cured I will start the wiring Odessy (sp).
Still to do:
Replace Rear Springs
Change Transmission and Tcase fluid
Now that I have started the interior stuff, Herculiner
Re-work passenger seat to be more secure.
That will have it driveable and safe. Further projects:
- Paint (I like it the way it is, but wife and daughter say the white makes it look like a mail jeep).
- Rear Bench seat
- Swing out Tire carrier
edit to add some pic links