Tire size? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-18-2003, 11:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Tire size?

This is my first time posting.
I receintly bought a 2003 Wangler X, 4.0L, automatic.
I commute in it on weekdays and hit the trails on weekends.
I want bigger tires for better off-road performance. How big can I go without changing gears or loosing too much power? I' ve heard I can do 31" without a lift and 32" with a 2" lift. Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-19-2003, 12:43 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Tire size?

well we need to know what tranny you are running.... what gears you have.. granted.. just by telling us the tranny.. gives us the gears.. but we need something..

and keep in mind.. the factory sets this up for the proper running.. so if you jump up too 33" tires.. granted you can drive it liike this.. and stuff.. but its not the best setup... you wont get the best performance from your engine... since you will be in a different power range..
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-19-2003, 01:37 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Here's better info on the Jeep.
stock 4.0L, I-6, stock automatic 4 speed O/D, 3.07:1 axle ratio Dana 30 front, Dana 35 rear. Afraid that's all I have.
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-19-2003, 09:18 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Depends on $$$$. If you spent your wad on the Jeep, and gotta go low budget for a while, then maybe a spacer lift and 31s or 32s. You got the 4.0 so you should still have power and it should ride good too. If you can still spend $$, what the heck, bigger is better. Get a top notch lift and 33s or 35s. You'll start to notice some highway power loss here and if you wheel hard will have to start thinking about other upgrades due to bigger tires. (Gears, axles, etc) my.03
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-20-2003, 02:59 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the info everybody. I had them put on today. got 31" BFG's, on 15X7's. Works great without a lift. No rubbing. Allmost no power loss.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-20-2003, 12:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I too just bought a 03 Wrangler automatic. I put 31 inch tires on 15x7 rims. I've only had it offroad a few times, but no rubbing so far. I'm having some performance problems on the freeway though. It really doesn't like hills. It's a great overdrive but only on the flats. I've got the 3.73 axle ratio. When I come to hills I hit the overdrive off switch. Is this a need more power problem or do I need different gearing? [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-20-2003, 12:39 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Both of you need gears...go to 4.10's or better yet 4.88's. They will give you back the "power" you feel you've lost.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode