Jeep Rubicon hop found - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-19-2003, 12:11 AM Thread Starter
Way Outta Control

Jeep Rubicon hop found

Shocks are mainly supposed to control rebound. They should compress fairly easy, and stretch hard. That way with 2 different rates it's hard to oscillate.

These stock ones - a week old, 1200 miles - gas charged - hard to compress against the gas - the gas doesn't really provide lift, just the compressed Nitrogen stops internal bubbling. Push them all the way down - let go - they snap back all the way out again fast - hardly any dampening at all.
I put on the Rancho 9000's:
Set on 5 still had a very slight hop - nice easy street ride but firmer than the stock trash.
Set on 9 - full hard - made it almost to the top without any hop!!! The only reason I didn't make the top is I ran out of tire - 36" Wrangler MT/R - equivelent to 31 10.5's.

I only put the 9000's on the front to try them. I'm going to go with the Terra-flex 4" long arm - these will be too short.
It needs them in the rear too - as I ran out of tire and was spinning I did notice a slight hop from the rear - hadn't noticed it before because the front was so bad.

And - at 60 on a graded dirt road I felt like I was driving it instead of herding it.

Just thought I'd let everyone know so they can pass it on.

Now with another 200 ponies in it it'll be good to go. That's going to be more difficult!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-19-2003, 01:16 AM
Swansonoldcj

Re: Jeep Rubicon hop found

Another 200 horsie's! Been looking at superchargers, haven't ya???? And you bought it so you didn't have to work on it!!...Glad the hop is gone, but I would use bilsteins myself.
be talking to ya;
gas. [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
[img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-19-2003, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
Way Outta Control

Interesting - a friend called the other night before I'd tried the shocks. He told me he bought a Rubicon from the same dealer 2 days after I did.
I told him about the hop problem - he hadn't experienced it and probably thought I was nuts (Ha Ha - OK, I am, but not in this case.)

Last night he called again - he'd experienced the same wheel hop problem and wasn't too happy.

It's possible we got a bad batch of shocks on the Rubi's here, or I wonder if somehow some got the 4 cyl shocks put on by mistake. My local parts house's books show the 6 vs 4 cyl shocks to be different.

This may be a local problem or may be country wide.

Now that that's over I'm pretty happy with it overall.
Sure it still has issues, like the low range only lockers etc. I'll post the override trick on another post I found on the web - looks easy!
And of course more power would be nice. I found another 8 or so ponies hiding in the filter airbox - installed the straight tube with a K&N - you can feel the difference, still not a race car, but it helps a little.

Yes, I've been drooling over the supercharger! Maybe --

Now for my next question - I'd like a shock that is even a little stiffer than the 9000's at the stiff setting - anybody know what that might be? Adjustable would be nice too.

Thanks in advance, Rich.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-16-2003, 12:20 AM

Not sure if this might help you, you may have already put on the long arm kit but in case you didn't I came across this and thought I'd pass it along. I thought they might be able to answer some questions if nothing else.

Rubicon Express Longarm Install on '03 Rubicon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode