Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Jeep-Short Wheelbase (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/)
-   -   O/T Which prvides a better weld? (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/171599-o-t-prvides-better-weld.html)

babypoo 07-18-2003 09:27 AM

O/T Which prvides a better weld?

I will hopefully be building my tire carrier this weekend and a new bumper after looking at the stock TJ bumper I'm not sure it will hold the weight. But back to my question...which will provide me with a better, stronger, cleaner, and more pure weld stick or wire feed? I have access to both and all opinions are appreciated.
John
[email protected]

LEVE 07-18-2003 09:32 AM

Re: O/T Which prvides a better weld?

1. I am NOT a welder... so take what I say with a grain of salt.
2. It depends on how good of a welder you are... and
3. The thickness of the material,
4. If the wire feed is[*] Flux coated wire, or[*] Gas fed...
5. IMHO... I'd go with the stick...
6. But being a novice welder...
7. The wire feed may give prettier (stronger?) welds.

jdoggmoney 07-18-2003 09:35 AM

I'm not much of a welder, but have been around metal working a lot. Most recently building/repairing street stock and modified racing chassis. I vote wire feed for a clean strong weld. We had good success on role cages and sheet metal with a economical 110v wire feed. Be careful though if your planning on using thick metal. We tried to weld the rearend gears with the 110v and the welds cracked. Should probably go 220v for the thick hard stuff.

Also had a friend whow recently finished his swing out tire rack. Used stick, it fell off. My .03 [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

ace2222 07-18-2003 09:48 AM

1.How thick is the metal
2.how big are the machines
3.Stick welders can usually weld thicker material
4.both will look nice depending on who is operating them.
5.very little slag with mig
6.strength = penetration
7.proper prep = better penetration

moral of the story is both are strong, make sure if you are using mig that the metal is not to thick. I would rather do one pass with a stick than two with a mig. Prep your metal before welding. Make a v shape between the two pieces for the bead of the weld to fit into to. your weld should almost be flush when your done. Don't grind to much though [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I would use my mig welder which is a miller 210 for welding up a tire carrier that is probably 3/16..

What size is yur mig welder..

IMHO push a mig don't pull.

CJJ92YJ 07-18-2003 10:18 AM

I work for a plate steel fabrication company. The first thing I learned when I started working here 5 years ago is that there is no substitution for proper weld preparation. By that I mean, you should have proper bevels and proper gaps. It depends on how thick the material is. Usually with stick or wire feed, you can maintain the ultimate strength of a weld if you have all the parameters set up correctly.

If I was to weld 3/16" thick plate, or 1/4" plate, I would set it up so that there is about a 3/32" to 1/8" gap for a butt-weld. Now, not all your welds will be a butt weld, most of the probably won't be for a bumper / tire carrier, but the same basic principles still apply.

What I always do when welding, is to take a few sample welds on the same material of the same thickness. Set it up with the proper gap, and then make a few passes. Cut it apart perpindicular to the length of the weld so you can check your penetration (penetration of the weld is key). If you are achieving at least 1/2 to 3/4 of the thickness of the material with penetration of the weld, you are doing it right.

But to answer your question, it really depends on who is doing the welding in my opinion. Personally I can weld better with stick than with wire because that's how I learned. I have learned the fundamentals of the "puddle" by stick welding, and have a hard time controlling my puddle the way I want when using wire since it has a constant speed coming out of the gun. On the other hand, I know people that have learned with stick and can weld better with wire. But mostly it depends on what you feel most comfortable with and how you prep the metal to accomodate the weld.

BigJ 07-18-2003 11:58 AM

I agree that it is setup and prep. I weld in the biotech industry and do everthing from stick, TIG, MIG (gun), oxy gas. The welding machine (whatever you use) has limits on what thickness it can handle. But a good weld by any method is a good weld. Remember, a weld isn't a caulk or glue. Make it clean, remove the slag and don't over heat. Practice gives you the feel. There is no other way.

babypoo 07-18-2003 02:59 PM

Thanks for all the input. For those who inquired I have access to a 110 wire feed(not on gas) and a 220 stick. The metal I will welding will be a mixture of both 3/16, 1/8, and 1/4 inch thick. I once was very good welder but haven't picked it up in about 3 years...so time to get some practice.
John
[email protected]

Dirt Dog 07-18-2003 08:32 PM

With what you just added John...... go with the stick. I know you are a "novice" welder. It may look a little rougher, but will be stronger than a "pretty" 110 wire bead you layed across the top with no penetration.
Go with the stick bro. [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]