'99 TJ Rear Suspension Bottoming out - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-18-2003, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

\'99 TJ Rear Suspension Bottoming out

Hi all. I just got my '99 TJ a few months ago and love it so far.(4.0L, 5 spd, Rag top)
But, a couple of weeks ago I had four adults in it for the first time and if I hit a small to medium sized bump in the road the rear end would "bottom out". Any ideas?
As far as I can tell all of the suspension is stock. It rides great on road, no excessive bouncing or hard knocks. But as I said, when waited down with people the rear slams when stressed. I assume this is the bump stops hitting. Do the soft tops come with softer springs than the hard tops? Would a small (2") coil spacer give me the extra travel I need without requiring any other modifications? I wont be doing a lot of off roading. Most likely nothing harsher than dirt/mud trails, and this is my every day vehicle.
Any help, suggestions, history, cash, whatever would be GREATLY appreciated.
PS: I had a '77 CJ-5 years ago, but couldn't afford to keep it running and had to sell her. I feels really great to finally be back in the Jeep society.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-18-2003, 09:55 AM
Veteran

Location: Milwaukee(which is algonquin for the good land)WI U.S.A

Re: \'99 TJ Rear Suspension Bottoming out

How heavy were the people?? Are your shocks good?? What size tires do you have?? If you install a two inch spacer lift, new shocks would be highly suggestable. The only problem you will run into with this idea is because of the spacer you must use the bump stop extentions which will put them right back where they are now, so it most likely will not solve your problem. I would start by checking the shocks and if they are begining to go replace them with a stiffer shock.
John
[email protected]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-18-2003, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Tires are standard 30" and the people were, except for myself, medium sized. I'd say a total of about 650-700 pounds total passenger weight. The shocks "appear" to be in fair condition as there is no excessive bounce to them and they stop with one bounce when I jump on the bumper. What's the point of the longer bump stops? Doesn't that, as you said, leave you right were started? BTW, the Wrangler sits perfectly level in the garage so I don't think I have a busted spring.
Thanks for the reply.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-18-2003, 10:18 AM
Veteran

Location: Milwaukee(which is algonquin for the good land)WI U.S.A

The point of a spacer lift is primarily for looks. I use one along with my 2 inch springs but have trimmed the bump stops down to suit my needs in fact in the front I didn't even install the extensions as they weren't necessay. I haven't had this problem in mine but you may have a week spring. The TJ's suspension is designed as a semi flexy suspension as it is but I don't think you would bottom out with two people in the back. But it is possible. Maybe you just need to get 14 inches of lift under it and trailer it everywhere you go [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]. When you jump on the rear bumper do you hit the bump stops??
John
[email protected]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-18-2003, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Never mind. I think I'll just go with the 14" lift idea.
Oh, wait a minute, since I'm married and would like to get some in the next ten years, maybe I ought to pass on that idea. [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
No, I can jump my 205lbs on the rear bumper all I want and can't get it to slam like it does on the road.
There's only about 3-3.5 inches between the stop and the lower pad. Is that about normal? I guess it's sounding more like bad springs all the time, but as it sits level they'd have to both be equally screwed.
What'cha think?
Anyone?
Thanks for the attention.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode